Saint Valerian

Valerian was born around 2nd century AD in Rome, Italy. He was raised in a rich pagan family. He grew up until he became a rich nobleman.

One day, he was chosen by Cecilia's parents to marry their own daughter, Cecilia, so, they got married. When the time came for Cecilia's marriage to be consummated, she told Valerian that the angel of the Lord is watching them. She warned him if he sexually violated her virginity, the angel of the Lord will punish him. She also told Valerian that she would love him, if he respected her virginity. Valerian saw Cecilia's sincerity, however, he needed a sign to prove that the angel of the Lord was watching them, so he asked her to see the angel of the Lord. So, Cecilia replied that he could see the angel, if he would go to the third milestone on the Via Appia and be baptized as a Christian by Pope Urban I. Valerian followed Cecilia's instructions and went to the third milestone on the Via Appia in order for him to be baptized as Christian by Pope Urban I. After following Cecilia's instructions, Valerian saw the angel of the Lord, standing beside her and crowning with roses and lilies.

After that, Valerian, together with his brother, Tiburtius, and a Roman soldier, Maximus, copied Cecilia's good example of being a Christian. Days past, the prefect, Turcius Almachius,  had Valerian, Tiburtius, and Maximus, arrested and executed. According to tradition, they suffered martyrdom during the reign of Emperor Alexander Severus in about 230 AD.

Valerian was venerated in Roman Catholic Church, Eastern Orthodox Church, and some other branches of Christianity. According to Tridentine Calendar, his feast day is on April 14, while according to Eastern Orthodox Church, his feast is on November 22.