Into the light

"This has got to be a joke of some kind?" I scoff as I look into the screen. "Nice try Uncle Phillip. But it's going to take a lot more than this to trick me." I tell my Uncle as I lean back in my chair.

"Chesh this isn't a joke. As much as I'd like to wish it was." He said in shock as he looks at the screen with wide eyes.

"Your Uncle, I'm assuming, is right kiddo." An off screen voice called out.

"I'm not a kid and I call bull." I laughed. "So you're telling me that If I walked through this transdimensional doorway I'd be standing, relatively, close to you?" I smirked as I crossed my arms over my chest.

"Relatively speaking, yes." That same voice said from out of my eyesight.

"Doctor Hawk what would be initial precautions for trials on this experiment?" I asked as I stood from my seat and removed my lab jacket.

"We aren't sure Ms. Brier. We've never experimented with dimensional travel." He said still bustling around the room.

"I would recommend an oxygen tank and bungy cord. In case your coordinates aren't exact and you end up in say a black hole." The voice said again.

"Thanks for your optimism disembodied voice." I chuckled as I tie my jacket around my waist. "Make sure we get this on record doctor." I said before grabbing a breather and my backpack.

"Vistiana! What are you doing!" My Uncle shouted as he realized what I was preparing to do.

"Experimenting Uncle. Don't worry." I said giving him my best Cheshire grin.

"That grin never leads to anything good." He sighed as he grabbed some rope from one of the lab table cabinets and tied it around my waist.

"First trial on Project Cheshire." One of the other doctors I know, David Rhadshaw, said as he began documenting.

Waving at them all I dove through the portal. After a second of weightlessness I began to curl up on myself and roll. Expecting a landing at anytime. Hearing a popping sound that made me giggle I felt myself make impact on a hard surface. Rolling once more I stopped myself in a crouch.

"That was freaking amazing!" I squealed as I untied myself.

"Welcome aboard the Helicarrier." A gruff voice said from in front of me. Looking up in shock I saw the same man from the computer screen.

"Thank you. Do you still have communications with my dimension up?" I asked hurriedly as I finally got the rope untied.

"After you came through all communications fell and the portal closed. Looks like you may be here for a while. But I'll get all of my best men on it." He said solemnly.

"Thank you." I said as I let everything set in. I was stuck in a different universe that only ten minutes previously I thought was fictional.

"If you want I can take you to the lab and maybe you could lend them a hand." He suggested offering me a hand up.

"Thanks. My name is Vistiana but all my friends call me Cheshire."