CHAPTER ONE

"Meet me tomorrow, I have something to tell you," said Alex, my childhood friend two days before my birthday. Those words were the last I heard of him before he disappeared the next day, not leaving anything behind. I knew this would happen, as I walked past their empty lot. There were moving trucks and boxes with a "Notice of eviction" from their money hungry landlord attached to the door the day before. I would walk through the silent streets, void of any laughter and children playing, hoping for Alex to come out and tell me what he wanted to say but I knew that will never happen. I will never see him again until I die of sadness.

=====Ten Years Later====

"Ilise, I know you have perfect grades and all, but have you ever tried to make any friends?" He asked, looking up from a teacher's recommendation to social therapy. This is my Councillor, Mathew, you could say he is my father, as he died from an unknown disease a week after Alex left. My mother left me for another man and I have been in the care of him since then. "You are cute and perfect in every way but... You seem a bit dead inside and your eyes look like one from a dead fish," he said, trying to get a reaction out of me, which didn't work.

"Can I go back to class now?" I asked in a soft monotone voice with a strong English accent. "I have a test and I would very much like to pass it without having to go after school"

"Oh uhh... of course, just do it here," he said, taking out my test forms, shocking me.

"W-Wha?! Where did he get those?!" I asked myself, as I turned white, much whiter than my hair, as he shakes it in my face,

"Dont you want it~?" He said as I took it shakily. He is grinning madly as he finally got a reaction out of me; who knew, the only way to make me react is with small matters. "Ah-uh," he said in a teasing voice, "it seems you have already finished," he said, still sounding like he is talking to a small child. "Thaaaaat means we have more time to talk right?" He says, moving closer towards me. I could feel the stares of his co-workers.

"Fine," I grumbled, sitting down on an old leather chair. He always liked old things as he wrote with an old fashion fountain pen and used a typewriter. "What is it," I asked, a wee bit irritated about not having my book with me as his talks are always so boring.

"Kaaaay then~ you're going to join a club, which I call the MAKING FRIENDS AND NOT BEING SOCIALLY INCOMPETENT CLUB!" He yelled, startling everyone in the room. Even I jumped in my seat as he yelled. "You're going to make so many friends!" He said, stuffing a piece of paper into my face, trying to get me to sign it.

"Argh... if only you will shut up," I said in an aggravated tone, scribbling my name on the crumpled piece of paper.

"Always soo cold! You're really an attractive girl ya'know? Too bad you waste all your time alone in your room. But then~ maybe one day you can get love and.... did i mention you're really cute?" He said, in a fatherly way, as I leave to class again without saying a word as if I would want to. "Hey! Agh I screwed up again didn't I..." He said, jumping in his chair after the door slams shut.

=====AfterSchool=====

Opening the door to the club room, I feel a gush of cool air flow out from the dark room. There would be a boy there, whose face makes me shudder. "So you have finally arrived... Ms.McQuill." He said, looking down on his notepad.