one

separation
| one: suspicion |

I sat still with my knees tucked into my chest, a blanket wrapped around my small frame with just a small light illuminating my silhouette. I stared at the time on the stove clock that showed it was 1:55 am. My fingers impatiently tapped against my freshly shaven legs, my waiting for a long time making me jittery. Once the clock hit exactly 2:00, I hear the jiggling of keys being put into the lock of the front door. I don't make to get up as I hear movement in the foyer, the sounds of keys softley being put into the bowl and shoes taken off.

I see my husband cautiously make his way to the stairs, but he catches a glimpse of the soft lighting. His eyes meets mine and he furrows his brows in confusion. "What are you doing awake?" He asks in a small whisper as he shuffles towards me, eyes squinting a bit at the light. He takes his phone out of his pants pocket and tosses it onto the kitchen table.

"Where were you?" I ask, disregarding his previous concern. I look up at him and see that his clothes are disheveled: his tie hanging loosely around his neck with a few of his shirt buttons undone.

"It was a late night at work. I told you that earlier." He replies in a calm voice.

"So you're telling me," I stand up from the leather chair to come face to face with the man I love. "That your late nights have you come home at two in the morning?" I don't get a reply. "This isn't the first time you've come home late. What's going on?"

He shrugs. "There's just been a lot of work that needs to be done."

"I don't believe you." I shake my head. "For the past two months or so you've been coming home late, you're always 'out with co-workers' or your other friends-"

A 'ding' noise interrupts me. We both look down at his phone that shows he's gotten a text message. I grab it before he has the chance to and unlock his phone, already knowing the password.

Thanks for the good time. Can't wait to see you Thursday. Hope you sleep well xx -Veronica