Too late

It was coming to the end of spring, with hints of autumn air perfuming our surrounding. Starship entertainment had just announced its plan to not just the public, but also us, for 2 new kpop groups to be formed in the next 4 years. It was an exciting period for all us trainees. The ones reaching their 20s were worried and trained even harder as this was probably they're last shot while the younger ones were just eager to be in the consideration to be in an actual kpop group.

"I'm going to get in to the group anyway possible! I swear I will train so hard it'll make Twices work rates look mediocre." Yujin was especially excited about the news as we talked about it over lunch. She has been a trainee for about 6 years at this point, which is more than many of the older trainees. Her determination was obvious and it was likely that she'd make it to the group. Me on the other hand, lacked a bit in every area and was nowhere near the complete package everyone else was. I would like to say that I'm more charming then most of them but, who am I kidding, I'm not going to make it.

Just then Wonyoung and her boyfriend walked in to the restaurant. Wonyoung didn't really talk to us today so it was surprising to see her here. She was about to ask for a table for 2 but just then saw us, and immediately ran out of the restaurant. Kwang Hyun spotted us too and waved to us, before being puzzled by Wonyoung's actions and following her out. Me and Yujin looked at each other, unsure about what was going on. I texted Wonyoung to check on her but no reply. Yujin texted Kwang Hyun in the mean time and found out that Wonyoung was crying, the reason uncertain. Yujin offered to bring Wonyoung home and Kwang Hyun obliged. Me and him ended up eating desert together at the nearby bingsu restaurant.

"No idea at all of what happened?" I asked, still puzzled by the situation.

"Not a clue to be honest. She just saw you guys and ran out. But you know her, she's very emotional. It was probably something small and insignificant." It still seemed weird to me. Such a strong reaction over nothing? Especially after seeing us? Something felt off.

Kwang Hyun and I didn't talk that much afterwards. Other than saying how delicious the bingsu was or about training and complaining about our trainers, we just sat in silence. It wasn't awkward, just slightly uncomfortable as we have drifted quite a bit with time. He helped pay for the food at the end, being the senior, and we agreed to meet up again soon. Not Long later I got a text from Yujin.

Yujin: Y/N, we need to talk. Meet me at the training area ASAP.
Me: Uhh...ok? Is it about Wonyoung or?
Yujin: Yeah it is.
Me: Ok. How is she?
Yujin: Yeah just come fast.

At this point, I was pretty curious as to what was going on. I quickly started pacing toward our agencies training area, reaching in about under 10 minutes. I walked into the building and hurriedly moved towards the training area. I immediately saw Yujin seating by Wonyoung with her arm around her. Wonyoung has her face in her thighs, covering it as if out of shame.

"So what's up? Is everything ok?" I asked out of concern.

Yujin looked up to see me, only to reply, "I think you guys should talk this out. Me being here won't be of much help." I was a little bewildered as Yujin took her leaf. She turned back before leaving my sight and mouthed, I'll be outside.

My attention shifted back to Wonyoung, who still had her face buried like an ostrich. "Hey is everything ok?" I was trying to be as gentle as possible, unsure if it was something I did that hurt her.

At this point I was squatting beside her and she looked up, her eyes sparkling from her tears, her face features delicate and innocent as ever. For someone that had just been balling her eyes out, she was stunningly beautiful. She sniffled a few times before saying, "I actually really...I really like you too." Her words trailed off a bit before she went back to crying.

I was a bit taken aback but also confused as to why she was crying. "Oh, then why are you dying? There's nothing to cry about." I didn't get a reply for a while, just more sniffles. I wasn't sure what to do and what to say. Does she want to date me? I promised myself not to care about relationships for the moment and wasn't ready to make exceptions, especially now. I mean it's not like my feelings for her are gone but...

"I know you won't date me even if I asked so I just really want to say sorry for hurting you." She finally said after a Long period of silence. I grabbed some tissue from the tissue box conveniently placed beside us and helped her wipe of her tears.

"Hey it's ok. I'm fine. You're fine. Everything is ok. No need to be sad ok?" I knew that if I revealed my inner conflict now, it would only be worse for her so I tried to sound composed and like I knew what I was doing so she would feel safer and more comfortable. Wonyoung nodded slowly as her crying slowly reached an end.

She slowly got up and said "Sorry again.", before covering her face and leaving. I was still squaring there not sure what to think of the events that had just occurred. I thought to myself, she should've said something earlier. I think she's too late now.