9

my eyes widen, my heart falls into the pit of my stomach. tracey runs to hug me, wrapping her arms around my waist. i just stand there, frozen.

'a-amanda? what are you doing here?'

'after you left, i realized tracey was out of food at the trailer so i came here.'

i scoff,

'really, that's your excuse? okay.'

she furrows her eyebrows at me,

'how about you mind your fucking buisness?'

'how bout you watch your mouth in front of this kid?'

'don't tell me how to be a parent, you peice of shit. come on tracey, get back in the cart.'

and she does, she's a good listener, she deserves a better parent than amanda. maybe i should kidnap her, and me and michael could raise her as our own. oh, how i wish, a life with just me, michael, and no one to tell us we're wrong for what we do, and who we love.

'michael, can i talk to you? in private?'

he shrugs his shoulder, they walk away into an aisle. i turn around, going towards the alcohol. i skim the shelves, looking for something good. i spot some evan williams, i smile. i grab about three, and head my way to the counter.

'hello sir, can i see your id?'

'what?'

'your id.'

'i'm fucking 22 dude.'

'okay, but here we have to id everyone. doesn't matter if you're 80 or 21, we id everyone. so id or no beer, buddy.'

'well, buddy, how about i give you this 20 dollar bill, you give me my whiskey, and i don't have to reach across this counter and slam your head into that register until your skull breaks into a million pieces.'

his eyes widen, i smile. he gulps, nodding,
'okay, sir. sorry.'

he rings it up, putting it into a bag for me. i grab the bag, heading to the car. i set the drinks into the backseat, i spot michael walking out, looking frustrated. amanda walks out behind him, screaming at him.

'michael! do you know what you're doing here? you're abandoning me, and your daughter?!'

'stop! that's not what i'm doing, mandy! i'm fucking working so i can support you guys!'

'working?' she laughs, 'fucking some lowlife psycho with mommy issues is working?'

i clench my jaw, doing everything i can to hold back myself from decking her in the fucking nose. fucking slut, i'd kill her if i could.

'that's not what happened! i didn't fuck him, i'm not gay.'

i turn around, laughing so they don't see, or hear me.

'prove it to me.'

'how, amanda?'

'come home with me.'

i turn back around, michael spots me. amanda's back is towards me, michael looks over her shoulder at me. she bends over to zip up tracey's jacket up, michael mouths i'm sorry to me. i laugh, rolling my eyes. i flip him off, getting into the car, speeding off. what does he want me to do? beg for him to stay like some bitch? if he wants to be with her, fuck do i care? go be with a slut who's with you for your money, that's your own damn fault.

*

december 12, 1991

michael's been by to see me and lester a few times, he's been gone for 9 months. me and a few other guys have done some scores, i told lester we didn't need michael, which we didn't. we don't. we can get shit done without him.