Chapter 8

[Sean]

I got back home from New York in the morning and the anxiety has been eating me alive since then. Kaycee finally decided to return my calls and agreed to come over in the most indifferent way possible. I facepalmed myself and rubbed my tired eyes. Stupid, you fucked it up big time, Sean.

I was more than willing to get things back to normal, but she always has to be so damn stubborn and difficult. If I think about it, I wasn't even sure why she was mad at me this time.

A soft knock at the door woke me up from my reverie. A couple of seconds later, Kaycee's small figure appeared in my room, greeting me with a small "Hi.". She sat quietly on the couch without another word.

I was taken aback by her, as usual. The way her curls bounced on and off her shoulders, giving her this fresh and royal allure, her forever rosy cheeks and lips and those piercing witty eyes. My whole being craved to get closer. All the remaining doubt and angst were long gone.

I cleared my throat and tried to break the ice with a wannabe light question, "So you're not going to ask me how was New York?".

She shook her head and mumbled an honest, "No.", pulling her lips into a thin line.

"You're still mad at me then?" I sighed disappointed and crisscrossed my legs on the bed.

All I got in response was another quick "No." and nothing more. I raised my eyebrows ironically and threw a cold glance in her direction.

She sighed and brought her knees up, hugging them tightly in a fetus position.

"I'm on my damn period. You'd be cranky too with these awful cramps." She admitted in a defeated tone, burring her head between her knees.

A wave of sympathy washed over me and I stood up immediately, grabbed one of her slender wrists and dragged her downstairs, settling her on the living room sofa.

"Wait here." I asked kindly and left her alone for a few moments.

I grabbed a painkiller from the kitchen and filled my sisters' hot water bottle as fast as I could. Kaycee watched me closely as I sat beside her and handed her the pill and a glass of water. The inner light flooded over her features, giving me such a bright and grateful look.

I placed the hot water bottle in her lap and she snuggled it closer, letting out a relieved sigh. I guess growing up with two older sisters had its perks.

As I attempted to massage her lower back knowing it helps a little, she stiffened beside me and seethed "Can you stop acting like a concerned boyfriend?"

"Can you stop?! I'm just trying to take care of you." I snapped back, throwing my hands in the air.

Her shoulders dropped and she bit her bottom lip ashamed.

[Kaycee]

My mouth kinda works on her own these days, without any thinking or filtering. He was a life saver and here I am, sounding like a spoiled ungrateful brat. I regretted what I said the moment it was out.

"I'm so sorry. God, I don't know what is wrong with me." I confessed faintly, sticking my body back to his side, our hips touching.

I let my head fall on his shoulder and rolled my back a little, so he knows what I'm referring to when I whisper a very low "Please?"

He let out a heavy sigh and brought his hand onto my lower back again, rubbing in gentle circles, taking all the pain away. My eyes closed involuntary and I snuggled my head further into his shoulder, trying to get even more of his warmth. This was the reason behind my earlier reaction. I knew that once embraced by his touch, the rational part of me would be dead and gone. My mind just packed her stuffed and curled up next to my heart, becoming one infatuated entity.

After a while, he moved his hand up, grazing my back and digging his fingers into my hair. I sensed his fingertips massaging my scalp and a little delightful moan escaped my lips. We burst out laughing at the same time.

I still sensed his smile while he sighed and spoke barely audible, "You frustrate me so much."

I nodded and turned my head to face him, causing his relaxing moves to stop.

"Does it help if I tell you that I frustrate myself too?" I said truthfully, a smile crossing my lips when he smirked at my reply.

His fingertips continued their prior activity in my hair and an exhaustive shiver traveled through my body. Without a word, he spread the blanket next to him all over me. But I wasn't cold, my soul was just overwhelmed by all this affection and comfort.

We watched a couple of episodes from "Friends" before I felt his movements on my head get progressively slower and lazier. They stopped completely at the same time his head fell on top of mine, his deep and rhythmic breaths indicating he was fast asleep.

I tried not to giggle anymore at the hilarious parts of the show so I wouldn't wake him up. At some point, his body twitched abruptly and his hand found my thigh, his fingers digging harshly. I gently unclasped them, one by one, turning his hand palms up and tracing random figures with my fingertips on top of it. It seemed to relax him as he went numb once again.

Seeing his hand spread over my thigh, so still and relaxed, it felt like a silence invitation to keep it warm. I gave in the urge and intertwined my fingers with his. My breath quickened at how well it all fit together and realizing what I was doing, a weird panic took over and I launched myself off the sofa, causing Sean to fall over and wake up. 

------------------------------------------------------------------

[Author's Note]

I decided to update today because I'll be gone for the weekend. I'm very excited for all this weekend's events tho, I can't wait for the updates (please God, let there be a lot of them, lol). So, I guess I'll see you next week. Have a great day, everyone !