Original Chapter - Four Fights

A/N: Thank you to everyone who reviewed the last chapter! I really appreciate the support. Thank you also to my wonderful beta reader, Rosalie!

This chapter is not in the book, but I felt that something like this was needed, and it doesn't seem to contradict anything in the book, so I decided to add it. I hope you like it!

Between "Divergent" Chapters 11 and 12 – Four Fights

The fights are far more enjoyable without Eric here. I pair the initiates as evenly as I can and watch their techniques closely to see what they need to improve. For the most part, they're making progress, though it's disappointing when Al throws his fight, pretending to be knocked unconscious after Edward's first hit. It's obvious that it really shook him to hurt Will the other day, but if he continues like this, he'll be factionless at the end of stage one.

Christina and Drew take a while to settle their match, mostly because neither is using their personal strengths well. They could both do much better, but eventually Christina's greater speed exhausts Drew, and when her quick jab causes him to fall, panting and struggling to rise, I call the fight before he ends up with a serious injury.

Tris obviously listened to me yesterday, because she moves in quickly on Myra, getting a good hit in before her opponent has a chance to react. Myra is too dizzy to continue, and I end up calling the fight less than two minutes after it started.

Peter and Molly take longer, circling each other warily in between powerful punches and outright wrestling matches. Eventually, Peter wins, but it's an ugly bout.

Normally, I would dismiss the initiates at the end of that round, but instead I gather them for the announcement I decided on last night.

"You have a choice this afternoon," I tell them. "You can have free time, or you can come back here and fight me." Eyebrows shoot up in surprise, but I ignore them as I continue. "This is an optional activity, so it will not affect your ranking in any way, but it is a chance to fight a real Dauntless member instead of a fellow initiate."

"Why would we want to do that?" Peter asks brashly, and I smirk at him, just a little. This is where I need to play things right, so Eric and Max won't flip out if they find out about this, and so only the people I want actually show up….

"Some of you seem to be finding it difficult to hit each other," I say as I let my eyes wander to Al, who avoids my gaze. "But I doubt you'll have that problem with me. It is also an opportunity to get feedback as you fight. I will not take it easy on you, so if you come here, expect to get hurt. Nevertheless, I will tell you what you're doing wrong so you can improve."

Turning back to Peter, I add scornfully, "If you think you already fight well enough, and you're afraid of what I'll do to you, then by all means, stay away." I know full well that he will. He's Candor enough to have figured out I don't like him, and he won't want to face whatever injury I might inflict.

As he looks away, I glance over the others again, letting my eyes rest on Tris' for a long moment. "But if you're up for a true Dauntless challenge, I'll see you after lunch."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Four of them show up: Tris, Edward, Will, and Christina. The number seems appropriate. Four against Four….

"Edward, you're first," I say, entering the ring and turning to face him. He immediately joins me, grinning as he gets into a fighting stance. It's no surprise he's cocky – he hasn't lost a fight yet.

"You're angled wrong," I comment as I deliver a front kick to his thigh. He tries to block but is a fraction of a second too late, and my foot makes enough contact for him to wince.