During Divergent Chapter 17 - Zip-Lining Day

A/N: Thank you to everyone who has reviewed, favorited, and/or followed this story! You make my day. And thank you to my wonderful beta reader, Rosalie!

During "Divergent" Chapter 17 – Zip-Lining Day

There's no training today, so when I finish talking to Max, I stumble back to my apartment and fall into bed again. My mind is still racing, but somehow I manage to fall asleep anyway. I suppose I can "thank" my father for that – after a lifetime of living in dread, my body knows how to succumb to exhaustion for a few hours no matter how much my brain resists.

By the time I wake up again, it's afternoon. I'm groggy, and my head hurts, and suddenly I have no desire to talk to the initiates about what happened. What would I say? The faction of the brave is letting Peter and Drew get away with anything, so good luck living with them?

Instead, I wander through the Pit, my feet finding their way automatically to my spot at the bottom of the chasm. But it doesn't take me long to realize I have no desire to be alone. I need to get away from my thoughts.

Unfortunately, that proves to be difficult. Zeke and Shauna are nowhere to be found, and when I finally go looking for Uriah, I can't locate him either. In fact, it's hard to spot any of the Dauntless-born initiates, and there aren't as many members as usual around either.

I guess that should have tipped me off, but I'm still tired and focused on Edward, so it's not until I hear the words "zip-lining" as I pass a small group that I realize where everyone is. Of course. How could I forget the day everyone celebrates one of my greatest fears?

And that means there's really nothing for me to do right now, particularly since my head is aching too much for me to go shooting or punching bags.

So, I wander, walking the high paths to let the fear keep me from thinking about anything else. I don't quite realize that I'm looking for Tris until I end up in the control room, scanning the monitors for her while Amy tries to act awake at the controls.

But Tris seems to have disappeared, too, and that worries me. Transfers aren't invited to zip-lining, so she should be here somewhere. Molly had better not have done anything to her.

"What are you doing here today, anyway?" Amy finally asks, sounding half-asleep. She really should have picked a job with more physical activity – every time I see her on duty, it's obvious she can barely keep her eyes open. Still, she's not nosy, which makes it easier to get a little information without making her suspicious.

"I'm trying to watch the transfers to make sure another eyeball doesn't go missing."

"Mmm," she mutters noncommittally. "That was pretty nasty."

"Yeah. That's the word." Not, you know, homicidal or psychotic, or anything like that. Apparently, Dauntless doesn't know how to recognize that particular difference.

Amy looks at me, pursing her lips a bit. "I think one of the transfers went zip-lining with the others," she says thoughtfully, clearly oblivious to my sarcasm. She types some commands on the nearest computer, retrieving footage from a couple of hours ago.

"Here we go. This is one of yours, right?"

I look at the monitor and see Tris running with Uriah, clearly heading out of the building with a group of excited Dauntless, and a new weight drops through me. It's not that I mind her going. It will make her look more Dauntless, and that can only help her chances in initiation. But why did she have to go with Uriah? Even as they're running, I can see the way he turns to look at her periodically, his attraction obvious on his face. It makes me clench my hands automatically.

"That's one of the transfers, isn't it?" Amy asks, looking confused by my reaction.

"Yes," I answer shortly. Then, feeling the need to cover, I add gruffly, "Clearly, I need to talk to her about staying in the compound."

Unexpectedly, Amy smiles. "Oh, come on, Four, the girl's got to have a little fun. Besides, she's with plenty of members, so it's not against the rules."

This time, it's my turn to grunt noncommittally as I turn away. Amy laughs at my retreating back, but I don't bother answering her. Apparently, I need to find something else to do today.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

What I find certainly isn't what I wanted. A man dressed in Erudite blue is talking with some of the initiates, and my gut wrenches unpleasantly as I realize he's a reporter. He's undoubtedly trying to get information for another article bashing the Abnegation leadership, and that means he's here after Tris. It's a good thing she left for the day. I'd hate for her to be the subject of an article like the one they wrote about me – or more precisely, about how Marcus beat me.

"You are so full of it!" Christina shouts suddenly, glaring at the man like she wants to kill him. "Everyone knows those articles are all lies!"

"Hmm, and here I thought I was in Dauntless," the man replies caustically, "not Candor." He arches a scornful eyebrow at her. "Which faction are you loyal to, exactly?"

Christina launches herself at him furiously, her arm cocked to throw a punch, and I can't help but smile. I have no fondness for the Erudite these days. Still, it's probably just as well that Will intervenes, grabbing Christina's arm and hauling her away from the intruder.

"Calm down," he hisses at her.

For a moment, she just glares at him. Then, she huffs, "Fine. I have more important things to do anyway." Turning a withering gaze on the Erudite man, she adds, "I would think you do, too." And then she marches away, her back straight and her entire body radiating anger.

Will gives his former faction-mate a brief shrug before heading after his friend, Al lumbering behind him like an enormous bear. I take the opportunity to leave, too, sliding away before the reporter can spot me and try to ask about Marcus. I don't know for certain how they found out he abused me all those years, but given how accurate that article was, it's a good guess that someone leaked my fear landscape to the Erudite. Probably Eric.

Regardless, they'd undoubtedly love an actual interview with me – some chance to get juicy quotes for another article bashing my dear old dad…. As much as I hate him, I certainly have no desire to receive that kind of attention. The first article was bad enough, and that was with very few people realizing it was about me. I never did tell Zeke if it was true or not.

I rub the back of my neck as I walk the long hallway to my apartment. Sooner or later, they're bound to write something similar about Tris and her family. I just hope that one won't be true.

A/N: Sorry this chapter is so short. I'm back from vacation now but am seriously behind in my writing and am trying to catch up on everything else in life too, which makes it even harder to find time to write. I'm trying, though... I'm also updating my "Prior Rings" story along with this one, so please check that story out if you haven't already. That said, please take a moment to let me know what you thought of this chapter. Reviews are my best motivator, and I could really use the motivation right now. Thanks!