VII

You were currently too busy with your work to be bothered, so the Winchesters were doing work of their own by this point. It was around midday, and you were knee deep in conference calls. In the other room, the Winchester boys were planning and trying to figure everything else out themselves, with one other person in the room. That person was unannounced to you, and had his own internal confliction. Though he trusted the Winchester brothers with so much, he was not sure if this was the right time to even mention anything about you.

"Thank you for watching her while we were gone, Cass," Sam said to the other with a smile, genuinity pouring from his innocent eyes. "Sorry if it inconvenienced you at all." He let out a nervous chuckle, and put a hand to the back of his head with a half smile. The brothers didn't actually know how long they were going to be gone for that hunt, and were both thankful that it was only 'a few days' as their note had intended. If it was longer, there was a strong chance that you may have gone stir crazy, in their minds.

"Sam, as I said, it wasn't a problem at all," Cass said with a smile, his fondness showing lightly in his piercing blue eyes. He looked down for a moment before continuing, still debating whether or not he should actually mention what had gone on during the time of their absence. They didn't need to know everything, did they? Dean could tell that Cass had a little nervousness about him, and of course, blatantly pointed it out.

"Cass?" Dean questioned with a perk of interest. He could tell that his friend was hiding something, and was dying to figure out what. This snapped Castiel's gaze back to the elder Winchester brother, and though he could have tested the waters by reading the man's mind, he decided to keep away from that little magic trick of his. "You're not telling us something." Dean was very matter-a-fact speaking, and his brows furrowed at his angel friend.

Castiel bit his lip lightly, averting his gaze once more. It was too obvious. He was definitely keeping something from the two, but his mind was at battle with itself. After a long pause, he let out a sigh in defeat. "She's special," he said simply, hoping that it would be enough, but with Dean's eyes, it definitely wasn't. Sam was just sitting there with a curious gaze, and was not going to press the angel, but unfortunately Dean would have. "To me."

Dean let out a cocky laugh. "You're falling in love, huh?" he said teasingly.

"I've been comforting her," Castiel says in a deadpan tone. "And I don't understand the human emotion of love - but - she makes me want to protect her."

Dean slaps him on the back as if he had made a great accomplishment, while Sam is simply smiling. "Good for you, man!" Dean says with his shit-eating smile. "She's pretty fucking hot!"

Castiel glares at Dean after that last comment, and by Dean's face, he knows he shouldn't have said it. "Don't you dare," Castiel says, protectiveness dripping from his voice like poison. You wouldn't expect jealousy from an angel, especially one that hasn't even formally met the person he's getting jealous about, but Sam and Dean could both see it written on his face. It may have been how good Dean was with women, but a little fear flashed in the angel's mind. "She doesn't even know I exist."

***

The Winchester brothers and Castiel did manage to get some research done on top of their conversation, but you hadn't noticed a single thing. You did not even initially notice while you were on the phone and writing things down that there were three men that emerged from the room, not just the two Winchester brothers. Granted, Sam and Dean were standing in front of Castiel, but it took you a good fifteen to twenty minutes to even look up from your paperwork. Thankfully it was the end of the day for you, and you were shoving your paperwork away when the boys had stepped out of the room.

You hung up the phone and set it aside, letting a sigh escape your lips. Though you had always immersed yourself in your work, it was much harder for you to work from home, so it was quite tiring for you to do all of this. Every client seemed to have one or two things they needed today, but on the upside, the more they need, the more of a bonus you receive. There was no way that the boys protecting you would not be monetarily compensated, though it was not something that was truly discussed. You were a very independent woman, and you did not like mooching off of anyone. It was bad enough that you had not given them anything yet, but they had just gotten home. You did not get the chance to catch them long enough to give them anything.

"You guys get some good research in?" you asked, getting up from the couch for a stretch. Your whole body felt sore from sitting in one position, balancing paperwork and phone calls all day. Thankfully the bunker was large, so you did plan on getting a little walk in after a light conversation.

"The normal bullshit, yes," Dean said quickly.

You still had yet to notice the third, and once you did, you tilted your head in question. "Who's your friend?" you asked timidly, a little worried that you could see a barely visible figure behind the two giants. For all you knew, this could have all been a trick and you were not being protected, but there was something about the room that did not entirely feel that way. Though you had a small tinge of panic, there was an overlaying calmness around the room. The two men in front seemed a tad bit awkward, but still as kind and genuine as they could be.

"Y/N," you heard the man behind them state, nervousness dripping from his lips. It was almost inaudible, just enough that you could hear it. There was something about the voice that seemed familiar, and that sent a shiver up your spine. Where the familiarity came from made you feel as if you were just going crazy. The Winchester boys made their exit, making some excuse about how they forgot something in the other room, and how the other hand to order a pizza, since no one wanted to cook.

You were left alone with the person in back, but as they stepped forward, your eyes widened. It couldn't be, could it? There was no way that this stranger could be - or could they? You had never met the piercing blue eyes outside of your dreams, unless you closed your eyes and simply imagined them. Your heart sped up, and you were fully speechless, staring at the person standing in front of you. He has the ever so light amount of stubble on his chin, and neatly cut brown locks. They were lighter than the Winchester boys hair, and he definitely looked older than the other boys. He had to be around his thirties at least, which you didn't mind at all. He was ruggedly handsome, and had a shorter figure than the other two. He adorned a white shirt, slightly unbuttoned, with a blue tie.

His expression showed a little bit of concern as he studied you in return, but neither of you said a word. You took a step closer, as if to examine the specimen in front of you closer. It was as if you were in biology again, and the feeling in your chest was from an even younger time. You weren't even one hundred percent sure that you had felt your heart beat at this rate, but the butterflies that churned your stomach made you feel like time was standing fully still. It did help that he did not say a word either, and for a moment you did feel as if time was not going to start again.

"Am I dreaming again?" you choked out, giving a light smile, trying to break the silence that was starting to drive you crazy. With your smile, he smiled sweetly and shook his head. Though you had the overwhelming urge to jump into his arms, to ask him to never let you go, you tried to play that off by twiddling your thumbs, trying not to smile like an idiot. "I...I'm not crazy, either, am I?"

He was not entirely familiar with human sarcasm or really any sort of saying, so he actually answered that in a blunt, almost dead pan way. "I do not know if you are crazy," he said with a light smile. "It is nice to finally meet you." Deep down, he was longing to pull you into his arms almost as much as you wanted to jump into his, but he was so awkward that it was hard for him to even know what to do. He had technically been watching over you for the past couple of days, so it was hard for him to actually guage what he can and cannot do while you are still awake and aware of your surroundings.