Overcoming fear

But it went on longer. Days turned into weeks. Weeks turned into months. I started skipping school without mum knowing. My grades dropped. I was too scared to go on my phone terrified of what people will put on social media. I start to spend more time in the house and in my room then I do outside. My friends ring me every few days to see how I am, tell me what's going on at school and what homework I need to catch up on. I get messages from Eliana telling I'm worthless, telling me I should go kill myself and if I don't she'll be happy to do it for me. I try to ignore it but there is a constant voice in the back of my mind screaming these insults at me. Scars turn up on my body. I try to hide them but sometimes Mum sees them. Occasionally I lie and say they were old scars resurfaced. But there not. I don't want to go on living life in fear.

Its been 7 months since it all started and of the 7 I've been away from school 2. I've stayed off my phone for 4. I think it's time to finally go back. Everything must have blown over, right? Eliana's sure to have forgotten or doesn't care any more.

I walk through the front entrance of school wearing a jumper even though it's a 28° day. The person I see first is Kylie. She runs and gives me a hug. I smile. It's the first genuine smile in a long time. Next I see Cora. We laugh and they ask where I've been for seven months. I tell them I went a long holiday overseas. They nod and believe me. I manage to spend the without seeing Eliana. The bell goes for the end of the day and I leave my friends without knowing it will be the last time. We laugh and smile as we go our separate ways. They are the last of many.

I walk down the street, nearly home, when I turn a corner only to see Eliana and her gang of friends sitting there. I shuffle around and try to run, hide, but am frozen in dear. She turns her head and her eyes stare into my soul. Slowly she gets up from her chair and makes her way towards me. Her friends go quiet and watch what she's doing. Eliana grabs my arm, her perfectly manicured nails digging into my skin, and drags me away from them. Four of her friends get up and follow, the rest go back to their talk as if nothing happened.