Chapter 1

Hi, umm this is is like my first book ever. I've never really been the artistic type, but I've had the plan for this book in my head for like 2 years now and I decided to give this writing thing a try. I'm still a novice so please pardon me if there's anything you find wrong, out of place or disturbing and please do well to point them out for me in the comments, I'd really appreciate that.
And oh, I did my cover myself hehe🤭.
Anywho, let's get into the book. Let me know what you think about it in the comments. Sorry for the annoyingly long intro/author's note. Bye lovelies, See ya

* * * * * * *.* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

CHARMAINE'S POV

Luck has never been a word I'd acquaint myself with. It's safe to say that I'm the unluckiest person in the world - okay maybe not the unluckiest but I'm pretty sure I'm on top of the list.
My mom died minutes after I was born and my dad died a few months after. I guess he wasn't able to deal with the pain of losing his wife.
I've been living with my aunt for as long as I can remember and she made it her personal duty to make my life a living hell. She never fails to remind me each opportunity she gets how much of a burden I am to them.

"Charmaine!!!!" This can't be good.

"Yes aunty" I answer. The next thing that followed was a slap on my face.

"What have I told you about calling me that?"

"I'm sorry madam" I answer, keeping my head down. She had told me never to look anyone of them in their eyes.

While my aunt spewed instructions, my eyes found a tiny ant on the ground. While watching it, I begin to think of how my life would have been if I hadn't lost both my parents.

I'm guessing my aunt only took me in because that was my mother's death wish.
I never really had any emotions when talking about my parents, maybe it's due to the fact that I never knew them but I'm sure that my life would have been different if they were still alive. But despite all she has done and will do to me, I'll still love and appreciate her, at least she took me in, not leaving me on the streets to die.

"Charmaine, Charmaine are you even listening to me?"

I knew what was coming. I placed my hands in front of my face to brace myself for the impact of my aunt's hand but it seemed she anticipated that because instead of giving me a slap in my face, she pushed me really roughly, and I fell really hard on the floor. I'm pretty sure I heard something pop but I'll have to check that later.
I scurried off the ground and stood back up, my eyes lowered.

"Mom, what was that sound?" Linda, her eldest daughter yelled from her room. Linda is a walking Barbie. Typical blonde hair (it's fake by the way). I don't know how she still has hair on her head considering how often she dyes it. She's always wearing clothes that are two sizes too small, too bright and too revealing. She always has blue contact lenses on. One time, I saw her without them because I had to clean her room in the morning and she beat me up for it. Why you ask? I was wondering the same thing.

"Ignore it sweetie, it's just Charmaine causing a racket". My aunt replied sweetly. Why couldn't she ever talk to me like that?

"Ugh, I hate that bitch. She just made me smudge my makeup!" She screeched. I closed my eyes and rubbed my temple. Even though we were in different rooms, her banshee - like screeching was giving me a headache.

"Don't worry sweetie, I'll make sure she gets what she deserves"

She slowly stalked towards me and although everything in me was screaming 'run', I stayed put. I tried running once and learnt my lesson.

She pulled me by my hair, making me look her in her eyes. All I saw was hate. Pure hate.

"You are going to apologise to her for messing up her makeup and then you will make sure dinner is served by 7 o'clock sharp. Not a second later, is that clear?"

"Yes madam".

"Good". She said, letting go of my hair.

I made to leave the room when I heard her speak.

"Who said you could leave?" She boomed.

"I.. uh.. y-you said I should go apologise to Linda" I stuttered.

Smack!

You might be wondering what that sound is right? I'll tell you, it's the sound of my aunt's hand making contact with my face and boy did it hurt. My vision blurred for a second and my head started pounding.

I held my cheek and steadied myself, lowering my eyes once again.

"I'm sorry, au- I mean, madam."

She walked out the room without a word and I followed suit, heading to Linda's room.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Hi again, please tell me what you think about the first chapter in the comments as it'll help me make improvements in the chapters to come. Thank you ♥️