Chapter 3; Is Everything Really Fine?

A/N: When the doctors or Peter are speaking German it'll be in bold. I figured this would be easier than actually putting German words down xD. And sorry if this seems short, I wanted to get the drama going haha. And this is also in the future where Bucky had to go on the mission. You'll hopefully know what mission it was :>

Peter's POV

He watched Bucky throw punches at a big sandbag. The chain whining as the bag swung mindlessly in the air, it almost sounded like it wanted its pain to stop. The older man paused for a couple seconds for a breather, he turned to Peter, sweat running down his face and arm. "Whatcha think, kid?" He asked, swiping a hand over his brow.

Peter gave a small smile, nodding. "R-Really cool." He spoke quietly, eyeing the doctors around them.

Bucky had urged, actually, more like threatened them to let Peter stick around Bucky wherever he went. Peter honestly liked that he did that, he didn't want to be alone in this place nor with the doctors that kept eyeing him, jotting down things onto their wooden clipboards.

Peter actually felt safe around Bucky, either Bucky didn't want him to go through the pain he did or maybe he just felt like protecting him. To Peter, the reason didn't matter, only the thought mattered.

But when Bucky goes on 'missions' the doctors do experiments on him. Testing to see what his abilities are and what can be changed about them. This terrified Peter, for he couldn't be underneath Bucky's caring gaze, he couldn't feel safe. All he could do was scream, scream for someone to save him when the doctors sliced open his skin with knives and daggers, testing his self-healing. But even when Bucky was here he was trained ruthlessly, going up against other trainees and soldiers three times his size. Getting broken bones and huge cuts were normal, so getting concussions left and right but his self-healing took care of that.

The boys young body was just a display of scars at this point. They decorated his pale skin like trophies, seem to tell everyone that he was an experiment, sometimes a toy for the doctors to play with. Seeing what could potentially kill him, or get him more powerful.

Though these thoughts comforted Peter and scared him, he has accepted them now as a figment of his imagination. Sure, they felt real enough to have happened, but its been years since he's seen Bucky, so to him it doesn't count.

Although, if this Bucky figure were to see him now, oh he'd be in for a ride. No longer did the nettles and knives cause him to scream, sure a few whimpers here and there, but the pain just became a numbing for him. Causing him to forget things for a while.

"Spider, it is time." A husky voice sounded in his head, it caused a slight flare of pain. Somehow, during one of his brainwashings, they had managed to shove a device in his skull, allowing them to speak to him from anywhere in the world.

"Yes, sir." He replied with an empty voice, standing from his bed he went to the door and waited for it to be opened.

When the door opened, and after regaining his sight back, Peter didn't have to be told where to go. They had done this for about seven years now, this one making it eight. To the HYDRA doctors, it was a relief, they didn't have to waste energy nor resources on him anymore. To Peter, it was now a normal thing, getting your brain wiped once every year just attached to him.

The eighteen-year-old walked with much more confidence, his brown curls drafting over his forehead as he continued down the familiar halls. His big doe brown eyes had shrunken if, at all possible, they no longer held fear or pain. All they held was emptiness, you could almost see right into Peter.

He walked into the dark gray room, seeing the operation table in front of him brought shivers down his spine. He has spent countless hours, even days, on that table. He felt a shove against his shoulder, he almost sends a glare to the person but just continued to walk the rest of the way to the table. Laying down on the cold surface caused him to hold back the shivers, which was hard considering he didn't have a shirt on.

The doctors strapped him down, the vibranium straps digging into his wrists as he stared at the ceiling. A piece of cloth was shoved into his mouth and wrapped around his skull. They had never done this on any of the other ones, why was this one any different? Sure, they couldn't do the full brainwashing of his younger self since it could've completely destroyed his brain. So why..?

"This brainwashing will be different. We'll be whipping his whole brain and hopefully, he'll be under our full control." Peter heard two doctors talking, thanks to his super hearing and his now fluent knowledge of the German language.

"And more painful I assume?" The other doctor nodded. "Yes."

Peter let out a groan, 'great, just great.' He thought.

Something cold and metal pressed against the sides of his head, Peter clenched his hands, his eyes blinking rapidly. He could hear the now faint counting down of numbers, mostly towards the other doctors.

6...

5...

4...

3...

2...

1...

Small sparks were sent into the boy's body, his eyes widened as more electrified shocks and sparks went through him. He could hear the voice in his head, clear as day, his teeth gritted as he heard the German voice.

The voice was practically screaming, but deep and slow, making sure the boy heard the words.

Family...

Cold...

His clenched teeth opened up, a gasp escaping his lips as the pain grew stronger.

Rejected...

Beginner...

He was screaming, telling them to stop, they wouldn't listen. The memories were flashed in front of his eyes, seeing his mom, dad smiling, he couldn't remember those smiles. Then the face of a medium-haired male popped up, multiple times, the feeling of safety flowed through for a moment before pain and fear consumed him again.

Ten...

Infinity...

That final word struck him like a bus. He could feel his mind go blank, nothing resided in his head. He also felt his pupil melt away into the irises of his eyes. His chest heaved up and down as sweat coated his body, "Wandering Spider?" A voice called as the cold metal lifted away from his head.

He sat up, his eyes staring blankly ahead.

"Ready to comply."