Chapter 5; I'll Save You

A/N: this feels rushed, and I apologize if it is. I just wanted to get this out for you guys and continue on with the plot.  ^^

Bucky’s POV

Bucky was too busy looking around for the one body heat signature to even realize that it was heading for him. Only Steve screaming at him made him realize that he was in danger.

Charging at him was a well muscular boy, looked around his late teens. The kid wore a tight black suit that held a red spider plasted on the shoulders. Only when Bucky looked at the boys lifeless, brown eyes did he realize who it was.

It was Peter

He felt a sudden force grab onto him and shove him to the ground. Gasping, he blinked furiously and looked up at Peter who just stared silently back. It sent chills down Bucky’s spine.

“Bucky! God dammit!” He heard Steve yell, he hadn't registered the sounds of guns and lasers that shown up. “Get your grubby hands off of him!” He launched his shield at the boy.

Peter didn't say anything, nor made it look like he had even heard Steve, and just continued to look at Bucky. When the shield came zooming, a bit to close for Bucky's comfort, Peter simply held his hand out to the side and caught it. He acted like it was nothing. Like the shield was dead weight.

To say the least, it enraged Steve, at least from Bucky's position it looked like it. Cause the next thing he knew, the patriotic super-soldier had charged at Peter, missed or Peter had dodged, one of the two, and Peter was on the Captains shoulders. Firing webs at his hands and feet, he firmly secured the Captain to a tree.

“Tsk, tsk.” Peter hissed, his voice scratchy. “You should know not to disturb a spider when it's  hunting.”

Bucky almost fell right back to the ground. He hadn't heard that voice for years. And it sounded so broken, so dead. It honestly broke him.

“Peter?” Bucky choked out, staring at the teen. “Pete? Can you hear me?” All he wanted to do was comfort the boy, hug him, cherish him.

Peter tilted his head to the side as he turned to face Bucky. “Peter? Who's that?” He grinned. “Oh, Mister Winter Soldier, so naive. Telling all secrets of HYDRA to the superheroes? How could you betray us? How could you betray him?” He had stalked forward to Bucky, staring at him in the eyes.

Bucky clenched his fists. Peter knew Bucky was trying to break him out of his trance. “C'mon, Pete. You know I had to. Their evil. Their using you as a weapon. Can't you see that what their doing is bad?”

“Tell me something I don't know. I'm not that blind to realize. Now, if you don't mind, I'll finish what I was ordered to do.”

Peter charged at Bucky, welding a knife in his hand and his eyes narrowing. Bucky threw his metal arm in front of him, shielding himself from the attack. Steve had managed to get out of the webbing and had joined in the fight. Punches were thrown, attacks were dodged. Few punches landed, causing injury if they did. It just all repeated.

It was only those three fighting and a few HYDRA agents nearby. The other HYDRA agents had led the rest of the Avengers away from the group.

Nobody's POV / 3rd Person POV

Steve and Bucky were getting the upper hand on Peter. The kids stamina was running low and his attacks and dodges were getting sloppy. It was until Steve had launched his shield at the kids stomach, and not being able to dodge, Peter got hit and was launched backwards.

Peter was unconscious in a flash, Bucky and Steve had quickly moved to him and held him down, not knowing what would come next if the boy woke up. They alerted Tony and the others that they had the weapon and were ready.

The HYDRA agents that were watching moved closer. They were making sure the Spider wouldn't fall into enemy hands, which was happening but they were waiting for something else.

Peter's quick healing ability made him wake up quicker than expected. Groaning in pain, he blinked his eyes open. His pupils had returned and he looked at both men. “W-What? W-What's going on?”

Bucky was on the verge of crying, he gently held Peter’s scrawny, yet muscular, build. “Pete. It's me, Bucky, you remember me?”

“B-Bucky?” The innocent brown eyes looked at Bucky like he was God. “Y-You're back? You came back for me?” He said as he quickly scrambled into a sitting position to cling to Bucky.

“Yeah, kid, I'm back.” He held the boy close.

Steve watched closely. He was shocked to see the boys personality change so quickly.

The HYDRA agents, though, weren't as happy. They had alerted the commander of the situation and were waiting for further commands. A voice quickly buzzed through the coms. “Shoot him. I don't want him making a peep. But, allow him to be taken, I got a plan.

The three agents nodded, before all three taking aim on Peter, though they'd have to shoot through Bucky to be able to reach him, it'll be a risk worth taking.

Peter’s spider-sense, as he dubbed it, buzzed loudly through his body. He froze for a second before shoving Bucky towards Steve, it was all slow-mow, the sounds of three bullets firing. The horrified look on Bucky and the confused look on Steve. And the ear-piercing scream that ripped out of Peter's throat as the three bullets entered his chest.

He fell backwards, the red scarlet liquid pouring out of his chest wound. The three HYDRA agents making their escape.

Bucky was at Peter's  side in an instant, he could faintly hear Steve telling Tony that they needed medical attention. Bucky ignored it and gently held Peter's face, who grimaced in pain and gave a weak smile. “Y-You grew rusty i-in… the last… years…”

“Shh, Pete. Save your energy. Ok?”

“I'm sorry.” He whispered, going unconscious again, his healing abilities already doing their magic but it wouldn't be enough.

Steve gripped Bucky's shoulder. “We have to go now. Tony's meeting us at the helicarrier. He'll receive proper medical attention when we get back.”

“He won't have time. He-He'll die, Steve. I can't have that.”

“He has healing abilities. He'll make it I promise. Now let's go.”

Bucky had never felt so unsure in his life, but he pushed it away and picked up the bleeding Peter and ran as quickly as he could to the helicarrier.

“Don't worry, Pete. I'll save you like you saved me all those years ago…”

A/N: btw thank you all for 270+ reads! I'm so happy my story is getting somewhere and people actually like it! Thank you again! It literally makes my day so much better seeing the votes and comments on this story.

-Kaytee