DISCOVERING MYSELF

In life, there are many hidden meanings to be discovered and life is fond of showing them through stories. There might be a story behind a picture frame, a sheet of paper, or even among the petals of a sweet smelling flower. One does not find these mysteries on purpose. In fact, these things come in unexpected ways and in unforeseen times. It was one night I discovered the meaning of life through a dream.

The wind caressed my bare skin as I fell through the starry night sky.  As I gazed at the small specks of light, I thought it ironic that I could only appreciate the light of the stars as I fell from grace. It was a strange thing to realize, quite frankly that all my life, I had never paid attention to the stars that had been in the sky since I was born and even longer than that. But as the stars wheeled overhead and the galaxies passed by a blur of multicolored light, I found them to be beautiful.

A solemn sigh passed my forlorn lips as my mind was forced to recall the moments that transpired just days before my fall. It was a moment that would haunt me for all eternity and forever fill my veins with grief. If it were not for the tangible feeling of pain and despair coursing through me, I would have thought it all a part of my imagination. Alas! Fate was not so kind. As I continued to descend,  one scenario dominated my mind. My father appeared before me in all his wrathful glory, his expression intimidating. eyes glinting with madness. Thus, his mouth opened spewing insults, expletives, and my failures. His words were like poison, intent on striking me down. Unable to take any more, I slapped my hands over my worn ears and begged for these illusions to stop. I wished for this torment to end. Soon, my vision dimmed to reveal the celestial lights once more. And still I fell. Falling to the beginning of the end.

It could have been minutes, days, even months I spent tumbling through the void. I cared not for the passage of time, for time was meaningless in this vast space of blackness and shimmering light. Once more, images flashed through my sight. This time, it was a memory of one of the few pleasant occurrences that had happened in my life. Sky-blue eyes met mocha brown ones. The mere gaze of these irises set my heart alight and into flight, filing my spirit with a comforting warmth. "Do not give up, my darling." Uttered the musical voice of my beloved friend Skadi. "Your life is much too important to be thrown aside so carelessly."

I smiled, taking heart in her words of comfort. And, with a bang and a splash of water, I found myself drowning in a sea of tears. Tears I had shed all these years before my fall. The pressure of these tears was astounding. It weighed upon my chest, rendering me breathless.

With a startled gasp, I woke up from my sleep. Sitting up with my back resting on the headboard, I pondered over this peculiar dream. It made me quite thoughtful about life. It made me realize that life was not meant to be taken as a lighthearted joke or a mere trifle. Rather, it is one you should cherish above all others. After all, you only have one chance at living.