Prolouge

Darkness. Darkness is what people see when they close their eyes. Maybe even blind people. But I always "see" more than a black wall blocking my view even though I'm legally blind. Even if my eyes don't function enough to see a picture, read a book, or know the face of the woman I love. I "see" everything in this world. The smell of brunt meat laying on the grill in a diner down the block. Funnuas howling in desperation to the pale white moonlight in the cold and dark space that surrounds our world. The taste of copper in my mouth... The raw feeling of my bruised ribs and a broken one that keeps my breathing shallow.

All of this creates a world that transcends the regular view of someone seeing with their eyes. The way I "see" is sometimes overwhelming. Sometimes painful. But always a blessed curse.

It's difficult for me to walk up the stairs. Even the makeshift splint across my leg didn't help the pain. So I painfully crawl up them with my Ribcage begging me to stop. The only motivation I really have isn't to see Blake again, it isn't for me to live just for the sake of living. I want to live to help. I want to go back to the shelter and help feed the less fortunate. I need to be "The Guardian Devil" not a bloodthirsty devil.

Even though the screams have stopped and there no Grimm or White Fang members on the streets. Even if a new era has begun. I need to hide from them. My mind reluctantly recalls the reasons why I feel half dead.

It was something that seemed so simple. Just stop the bad guy. Be seen as the hero in front everybody watching the Vytal festival. Be the man without fear in front of the woman I love. Feel like something more than an afterthought to people.

But it didn't happen. I was intercepted by White Fang members before I could stop them. They were an easy obstacle to plow through but, I wasn't fast enough. So here I am. Half dead, the ghosts of thousands of innocent people crying and screaming. The homeless that were in the shelter at the time of the attack are dead now. And It's all because I wasn't good enough.

The cries of innocents litter the hallway I'm limping through. I even hear people yelling at me. Throwing bottles, kicks, and insults.

"Save us (Y/N)!"

"Rot in hell Redgrave!"

"Do the right thing to do and DIE!"

How do they know my name, I'm not sure? All I know is that I deserve it. I know they're not real, I don't hear their breathing or heartbeats. All know is this my conscience is punishing me. All I know is this is my personal hell to slowly die in.

A very strange sense of relief filled my body as I reached it. My old man's apartment. Every memory I had in here floods in with no control. White Fang members banging on the barking for the money we owed them. The countless hours of doing pushups, situps, lunges, etc. My father crying over my mother's picture as he didn't show up for work (Or should I say light slave labor). My mother leaving late at night as I asked where she was going. I got no response. No "goodbye, I love you, don't bother finding me." Just the door she left out of slightly ajar as I hugged my stuffed animal tightly when finally I got it through my thick skull. She wasn't coming back.

My mother just left because the peer pressure of a funnuas dating a human got to her. I don't know if I can blame or forgive her. From what I can remember of her was that she was quiet and humble. Always wanted the best for me. I chuckle when I make the connection. 'Just like Blake.'

What brings me back to reality is I hear two people bickering down in the lobby. I would say they sound like a cute couple if it wasn't for what I know they're here for.

"You think this is right?"

"Orders are orders and fun is fun."

"That doesn't make me feel better."

"If you have any problems take it up with Cinder."

"..."

"Good. Now stay quiet, don't want him to hear us, hehe."

I know those two don't live here since the apartment complex has been condemned for nearly a year now. The smell of stale air gives it away.

Can't get up. Can't fight back. So all I do is just rehearse what happened to get me here.  Almost like a story to put me in a happy place. A story where no matter how hard I try, my life goes to shit.

This the story where I may never get to have a happy life with the love of my life Blake Belladonna.