Chapter Twenty-Five

Blue brings me to his room and locks the door behind him. Whether to keep me in here from running away from whatever he's about to tell me or keep out the people who forced him to tell me, I have no idea, but I don't say anything. He's tense enough and about to reveal a very confusing part of his past. He sits on the edge of the bed, tucking his hands between his thighs. I'm not sure if I should sit next to him or very far away.

Noticing my dilemma, he waves me over and pats the spot next to him. "Come sit down," he instructs. I sit right beside him and watch him rub his hands over his face. "Before I start, remember that I love you more than life itself, and my past has nothing to do with me now. I've cut off most ties of all the assholes I used to hang out with, and Hunter is next. I swear it."

"I believe you," I assure him. "Tell me what happened, Blue."

"Okay, but understand I never had any common sense back then. I didn't think about the consequences and I was an asshole. I'm not the same person I was back then—"

"Blue," I cut off his nervous rambling and put my hands on his chest. "Take a breath and tell me."

He takes a deep breath and nods. "Just give me a minute."

He tosses his snapback on the bed and runs his fingers through his hair. He inhales and exhales deeply, rubbing his hands on his thighs. Then he rings out his hat with white knuckles, his cheeks paling and flushing at the same time.

He is so nervous, I can't help but wonder how awful this part of his past is. It probably isn't even that bad, and he's overreacting because he wasn't exactly a decent person. According to him, he was the devil's spawn. What with the drugs and partying and fooling around with so many girls he couldn't keep a track. Jealousy spikes in my veins even though I've been aware of the number of girls he had... encountered before.

But before I can let the ugly trait consume me, I breathe deeply and focus on the present. Blue won't stop trying to stall this conversation, and the more he keeps from talking to me, the more curious I am to know what happened.

After five minutes later, he's finally ready to talk. "I think I already told you about my group of friends I hung out with in the past. We would do anything to escape from reality, including drinking, hardcore drugs, stupid dares that almost got one of the guys killed... anything really. We'd tried everything we could think of and got bored, so... so Hunter and I came up with an idea to play a game. We would go to school long enough to find 'players,' — girls who were virgins, and we would add an objective to them. One girl would be worth a gaming console, another would be a pair of shoes... one was even worth about three hundred dollars."

I hear myself gasp out of disgust.

"I know, it's horrible, but I didn't have a conscious then." He avoids my gaze and continues: "After each stupid 'victory' the ante would grow more and more. Things got more intense around six months into the game."

"Six months?" I gape at him, not believing what I am hearing. I wasn't the first and last test subject for his and his friends' sick game, I was one of many. I think I'm going to throw up. I take a deep breath and struggle exhaling.

"Yeah..." He runs his hands through his hair. "I thought we would grow bored of it after a couple of weeks, but after each success and the 'prizes' were given... we did it more and more. There was this one time this guy named Mark had a... a threesome with two girls he met at the bar. They were daughters of the owner and helping out during the end of the night. After it was done, their father found out and beat him so bad, he was in the hospital for two weeks."