In Love, In Death

~Prologue~

The castle seemed too cold, too dark. Bellatrix didn't complain, she liked the dark. But at this moment it hid the one person she was seeking. And she needed to find him before it was too late.

She pushed the double doors leading out into the entry courtyard open and marched out into the cold air. The whispering wind seemed to make her mind sharper and clearer and Bellatrix was finally able to focus. Ethan, she had to find him.

Her robes swirled around her ankles as she ran across the courtyard and down the steep brick staircase that led to the boathouse. The note said he would be there. It also said she wouldn't make it in time to say goodbye. Like hell she wouldn't.

Bellatrix's heart seemed to beat in time with her steps on the stairs. Each echoing footstep was one step closer to seeing Ethan for what she hoped wouldn't be the last time.

Bellatrix started to pant as she began to reach the last few steps. Before she went any further she halted and took a deep breath. She didn't hear anything coming from the boathouse which was probably a bad sign but her legs just wouldn't move. It was like they were frozen in place. Everything about her was cold, everything warm had vanished and the cold had lassoed itself around her heart.

There was no doubt in her mind that Ethan was in trouble but Bellatrix didn't want to call for him just in case whoever had him had not left yet.

Slowly, she took a step forward. The step itself echoed off the stone walls of the boathouse. It was as loud as a stunning spell.

Bella's breath caught in her throat. This was it. She would be found out. She slid her wand out of her robe sleeve and walked further toward the boathouse, pointing it threateningly. Bellatrix dared not light it for the dark awaited her like a hungry animal. Never had she ever felt so threatened by something she constantly welcomed like a friend.

"Ethan?" she whispered. She could've been shouting for the effect the whisper made on the silence.

Perculiarly, something her mother always told her when she was young came to her mind that night.

"Pure-bloods are never afraid. Do you know why that is, Bella?" Bellatrix would shake her head and Druella would tilt her chin up with two cold fingers so that she could match her daughter's black eyes with her own.

"Because we are without weakness. Remember that, my love. We are far superior than those mudbloods and blood traitors because only magical blood runs in our veins. There is nothing that can hurt us"

For some strange reason, Bella took strength from her mother's words. If her blood was pure, then there was nothing to be afraid of. No one could hurt her. With her new-found strength she muttered "Lumos" and the tip of her wand lit up brightly, lighting the boathouse and birthing eerie shadows that seemed to challenge her.

There. A shadow. And not one that belonged here. It moved.

She was not alone.

"Show yourself" Brave words but her voice betrayed her.

A laugh echoed around her. Loud and barbaric it was as it polluted the silence. Bellatrix felt shivers cascade down her spine but she refused to admit she was afraid. Pure-bloods were never afraid.

"Come out and fight!" shouted Bella but no one emerged. She clenched her wand tighter to stop her hand from shaking. In the shadow of her spell her wand looked like a thorn emerging from her tight fist.

The figure laughed again and she sensed him coming closer. 

And then a loud, blood-curdling scream shook the air and Bellatrix's heart lept into her mouth. Her scream in fright was choked from her and all she could was gasp. The scream was as familiar as the laugh of the person it belonged to. Ethan!

"Ethan! Where are you?"

Another laugh. This time it made her angry.

"Hand him over, you coward!"

Silence.

If she had had enough time to jump, Bella would have. The figure was right behind her now for she could feel his breath on her neck.

"Avada Kedevra" the voice whispered.

A green flash lit up the whole boathouse and this time Bellatrix could scream. She screamed for the boy she loved.