Chapter 5

It's curious how nobody really expects to react a certain way to bad things. We all seem to think we know who we are, how we will respond to pain, fear, danger, should we encounter these situations. Alas, we don't know – none of us really do. I couldn't remember all the details of that night, immediately after, it was like there was a white veil that I could not cross – or would not cross. My mind seemed to have blacked out for those few minutes that felt like hours. Later, however, the following days and weeks, things came back to me and I deliberately pushed them out of my mind – but by then, there were a lot of things I wished I could forget.

I think Simon was there, immediately after the happening. I remember hearing his calming voice talking to me, telling me stories about when we were children, back in England. I remember him singing a lullaby mother used to sing to us, so we would fall asleep – it was soothing. I remember something about bathing – maybe my brother had bathed me? God, I hoped not – that would be embarrassing; in fact, I hoped nobody had bathed me. It was enough to have been almost raped, I didn't want anyone else touching me for some time – even an innocent brotherly touch.

I vaguely remember hearing voices whisper close by, and my eyes struggled to open. I could see the fire going and shadows playing around the room. There were two people there, talking in hushed tones.

"... telling me she is safe? Are you fucking kidding me, Grey?!"

"Shh!" Someone else hushed my brother "Lower your voice, damn it. She needs to rest. I am telling you she is safe here."

"She was safe back in the navigation room, was she not?" My brother argued "This is on you, Grey. And before this is over, I will have your fucking head."

The Captain said nothing for a long while. I could only see their shadows, but I imagined they were arguing by the door, trying not to wake me up – which they failed.

"I will wait for her to be awakened, and then she can decide what to do" Grey's voice declared, tense.

I frowned at that. Since when did I have a choice around here? Does a girl have to be attacked to earn some respect from that man?

"What do you mean?" My brother frowned "I am her brother, I will defend her honour!"

That was it; that made me frown and sit up in the bed. The two men looked right at me, surprised to see me sitting and trying to get out of bed. I had a massive black robe wrapped around me – and from the scent and size, I knew this had to be Hunter's. His blue eyes stared into mine and I could see a hint of guilt in them; either he was very good at lying – which he probably was, anyway – or he was definitely feeling guilty for what had happened.

"You should sleep more, sweetheart" My brother sighed, coming to try and make me lay down again.

"Don't." I snapped before he could touch me "What is this about defending my honour?"

"Lawrence." Simon explained, trying to caress my hair but I moved away; I didn't want to be touched just yet "We have him, alive. He has hurt you, so I will battle him for your honour."

I heard Hunter snort, which was a very unusual sound for him. Simon squinted his eyes at the Captain, and Hunter crossed his big tattooed arms to crock a quizzical brow at him.

"Why would you do that?" I frowned at my brother.

"You're my sister!" He gasped "I will defend your honour every time that it is needed."

"I believe it's my honour, is it not?" I tossed, scolding.

"You want to fight him? Are you crazy?!" My brother's voice went up quite a lot.