quarante-quatre

.

.

.

Arielle Evans 

"I can't believe you're here!" Kyle exclaims, moving towards Hannah. "You came back."

"Kyle, what the hell? She left you heartbroken, and now you're overjoyed that she decided to show her face around here again?" I demand, stepping in front of Kyle so that I am face-to-face with Hannah. "Listen, you can't just show up here after you broke his heart."

"Well, guess what? I just did." Hannah snaps.

"I've missed you so much." Kyle says, grinning from ear to ear. "I can't believe you actually came back."

"No, Kyle, listen to me!" I yell, frustrated beyond belief. "She broke your heart and crushed it, and look at you now! You're practically begging her to stay!" I inch towards Hannah, jabbing a finger towards her. "And you...you absolute screw-up! You cheated on him, for crying out loud, and you're back now, calling him your boyfriend?! How dare you!"

"And who are you to decide that, Miss Self-Hate?" Hannah sneers, jutting her chin towards my scars. This silences me for some reason, and I can't find the will to speak any more. I look down at the ground, hoping that Kyle will say something, do something.

"What the hell, Hannah?" Kyle asks, pulling me by the arm to stand behind him. "Look, I'm happy that you're back and all, but what Arielle is saying is right. And then you have the nerve to say something about her cuts? How dare you!"

"Oh, Kyle." Hannah says, her voice dripping with fake sweetness and her arms wrapping around Kyle's neck. "I am so much better than this bitch and you know it. You missed me, didn't you?" She twirls a lock of Kyle's hair in her fingers, and I fight the urge to rip her hair extensions out.

"Yes, Hannah, I did miss you. Quite a lot, actually." Kyle sighs. "But you can't just barge in here after all that you've done to me and then start insulting my friends."

"Insulting? I'm just stating the truth." Hannah replies, smirking at me.

"What truth, huh? You haven't even met me, and you don't know a thing about me, so unless you want a punch to the jaw right now, I highly suggest you shut the fuck up." I snap, my blood boiling.

"What's there to know, princess? You're just a wannabe who wants to look just like me. And now you're stealing my belongings too? I think not."

"Okay, first off, Kyle is not your belonging. He is a person, not a playtoy for you. And you think I want to look like you? I would rather be the ugliest person on planet Earth. Oh wait. Never mind, that's you." I snap.

"Don't forget you look just like me, Dumbo, so you just basically crowned yourself ugliest person on Earth." Hannah smirks.

"Enough!" Kyle shouts, stepping in between the two of us. Hannah shuffles her feet a bit, scooting a bit farther away from Kyle. I wince from the booming echo of his voice and back away a bit as well. "Look, Hannah, baby, I'm so happy you're back, but Arielle is right. I need an explanation. You can't come back after all this time without an explanation and just randomly call me your boyfriend even though you cheated on me. That's not okay."

"I know, baby, I know." Hannah sniffs, dabbing the fake tears from her eyes. "I just thought you would maybe like to get back together again."

"I..." Kyle pauses, running a hand through his hair. "I don't know."

"I don't think he wants to get back together with you, Hannah. In fact, I think you should leave. Right now." I snap. Hannah glares at me, her nostrils flaring.

"And I don't think that it's any of your business. You met him, what, a day ago?" Hannah spits, and Kyle holds up his hand, silencing her.

"Hannah, I think you and I should have a talk. Arielle, would you excuse us for a moment?" I frown but nod as I watch Kyle drag Hannah over to a farther tree from where I am; it's only a few yards away, but to me it seems like miles.

Kyle O'Hara

"Why did you leave me?" I ask finally after months of wondering.

"I...Kyle, I didn't want to come back here. I was just afraid, I guess. I thought you wouldn't want me back, so I...I just left." Hannah sighs. 

"You have no idea how heartbroken I was when you left, Hannah. You left me, you left everything." My voice cracks at the end, and I try my hardest to swallow the lump in my throat. 

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, Ky." she says, her voice barely above a whisper and tears beginning to form at the corners of her beautiful brown eyes. She opens her arms for a hug, and I gladly accept, letting her bury her head into my chest. I see a blurred version of Arielle with a frown on her face before she runs out the gate, slamming it behind her. Hannah tilts my chin to meet her gaze before I can check to see where Arielle went, and I focus on her, trying not to worry about why Arielle ran off or where she went off to. 

"I'm coming back to Yale." she says, sending shock throughout my body. 

"What?" I ask, pulling away from her so my hands are down at my sides. 

"Yep. I'm coming back to Yale in a week, and I'm trying to get back into this house so we can be together." She smiles, twirling a lock of her hair around her index finger. 

"You can't come back to the house. Arielle took your place, remember?" I shake my head and Hannah frowns, releasing the strand of hair from her finger and letting it fall back in place. 

"So? I'm sure my dad can pay the school to get her out." Her smile returns, and I shake my head once more, making the grin disappear instantly. 

"You can't keep using your father's money to get out of everything. Han, as happy as I am that you're back, you can't kick Arielle out of her own house." I say, and Hannah's eyebrows knit together, a pout etched on her thin lips. She only says a few words before stalking off, but they're enough to have my heart pounding and my mind racing.

"Watch me." 

*

so hannah's a bitch yes we know ok 

entering this in the wattys soon :)

ilyasm x