Chapter 1: Getting Adopted

I sigh as I stare out the orphanage window. I've been here since I was five years old. I have no memory of anything before that except for my twin brother. I don't know why my parents left me here but the only reason I could think of was that they didn't want me. I sigh again before hearing the mistress call. I stand up and watch as all the kids line up, oldest to youngest. I was the oldest here, being seventeen. No one wanted to adopt a seventeen year old freak. While I looked mostly normal, I had strange bright cyan eyes. Way brighter than anyone else. Going back to paying attention, I watch as a couple and their son moved up the line, looking each child over. I make no expression as they step up to me.

"What's your name?" The lady asked me. I answer how the mistress taught us to answer from a young age.

"My name is Kaetlen. What are your names, if I may know?" I gave a soft fake smile. I hadn't given a real smile since my twin brother died. I miss him a lot. He was the only one like me. The only one with the freakish cyan eyes.

"My name is Judy Witwicky, and this my husband, Ron, and our son, Samuel. He's 16", the lady says. I give another fake smile and watch as they go on to talk to the mistress. As they talk we were allowed to go about our daily lives. I was about to head to back to the window to watch the other children laugh and play among themselves. The ones that didn't belong to the orphanage. The ones with parents and siblings. The ones with people who loved them. For me, I will always be the freak. I haven't been anything but the freak.

"Hey, it's Kaetlen, right?" I look up and see that boy, Samuel. I nod once and go back to looking out the window.

"Not one to talk much? Well, you definitely won't fit into our family if my parents decide to adopt you. We are a bunch of crazy weirdos", he mutters. "Anyway, I'm Samuel, but you can just call me Sam."

"It's nice to meet you, Sam", I say politely, hoping he'll go away.

Before either of us can say anything more, the mistress calls my name.

"Kaetlen. Go get your stuff", she says. "You've been adopted."

I blink before scurrying to my room and packing what little I owned.

I smile as I pull out the small backpack I owned. I went to school but I didn't really have any supplies and had to borrow off other students or the teachers most of the time. I was found out on the streets with my twin when we were five years old. As I was thinking about the day I was found here, my hand subconsciously went up to the necklaces I wore. I wear two necklaces, each a half of a heart. When you put them together, it says "Forever Siblings". Ever since my brother died, I hadn't taken either off. One of them belonged to my brother. I don't know what metal it's made out of but it was very durable. I frown as my mind goes to back to my brother. I shake my head to clear my thoughts and finished packing what little clothes I had. I heave my backpack onto my shoulder and head out to the front desk where I knew my new family was waiting.

As I came around the corner, I was surprised by a sobbing Judy throwing her arms around me.

"Oh, I'm so so sorry that you've been here since you were five!!" I look at the mistress who shrugged and I roll my eyes, getting Judy off of me.

"It is fine, Judy. I have become accustomed to my surroundings. If I were to be honest, I am a little scared to leave this place, as it is my childhood, and where I grew up as a teenager", I say, but that only made her cry even more.

"Well, then I guess we'll have to make you feel as comfortable as possible as you learn your way around your new home!" Judy sobbed for a little more before she finally released me.

"Is all your stuff in that one bag?" Sam was very surprised at my small backpack.

"In an orphanage, you will never have the full luxuries that come with having a family. Over time, however, you learn to deal with it, or if you are like me and you have lived in an orphanage the entire time, you are used to having little to nothing", I say calmly. "Now. May we please leave? I would like to see where I will be living."

Ron nods and we all go out to a small car. I sat in the back with Sam and ignored him as I watched the streets rush past. Soon we pull into a dirt driveway and they lead me into a house.

"Sam, would you like to show her her room?" Judy calls as she heads to the kitchen. Sam sighs and motions for me to follow him. I do so and nearly puke when I see my room. It was a bright... neon... PINK. I hate pink. I sigh and turn to Sam.

"Do you have any blue and black paint?" Sam nods in answer to my question and leaves only to come back with some blue and black paint cans as well as several paint brushes and paint rollers. I smile before grabbing the blue paint.

I start to cover the walls with the blue paint, making sure I didn't get any paint on the carpet. After two and half hours, I only have two walls completely covered in blue. I sigh and take a break, sitting on the bed. I gasp as I feel how soft it is. I haven't ever had a bed that was this soft. I smile softly and lay back on it, smiling as it sinks under my weight. I grin before sitting up, deciding to explore the rest of my room. I open some doors and there was an empty closet in front of me. I frown and decide to ask Judy to take me clothes shopping later. I open another door that was in the corner of my room and I grin as I walk into my own personal bathroom. I'll have to get stuff for it but it will work for now. I smile softly before going back to painting, my thoughts going all over the place but always tending to return to one specific thought.

'I wish you could be here, Miechel. You would have loved these people. I only wish I could be like you.'