Chapter 2: Clothes Shopping

"What about this, Kaetlen?" I groan as she holds up a pink frilly shirt.

"I would prefer something less girly and less... pink", I say. Judy nods and puts it back. This had gone for the past hour. So far, I had found about 10 shirts that I like and a several pairs of jeans. I also got some socks and a few new pairs of shoes. Well, a pair of tennis shoes and two different pairs of boots. One was about mid-calf and it was black. The other went to my ankles and it was beige color.

I smile softly as we go and check out. It was about noon so I decided to suggest getting some lunch.

"It is about lunchtime. Perhaps we should get something to eat", I say as we head out of the store and into the main section of the mall. Judy nods and leads me to a Subway. I had never eaten at Subway before.

"What's Subway?" I mumble and Judy quickly explains to me as we get in line. I nod and figure out what I want before we get to the counter.

"Hello, welcome to Subway, what can I get for you?" I immediately give them my order.

"I would like a six inch Italian herb and cheese bread with roast beef on it. No cheese", I say politely.

They get that done before asking me if I wanted any condiments or other toppings. I shake my head and then they wrap it up and put in a bag, Judy's following mine shortly after. We eat our lunch in silence. Well, more like I did, saying the bare minimum in response to her endless conversation. I finished off my sandwhich and patiently waited for her to finish hers.

"Well, do you have everything you want?" She was very cheerful today. I think back before remembering I needed pajamas and a few dresses, as well as stuff for my bathroom.

"I do not. I require pajamas and a few dresses, as well as some things for my bathroom and bedroom", I say, plain and simple.

"Oh, of course! I suppose you'll want your own bedsheets. I only had the pink ones available", Judy says apologetically before we go to another clothes store and get some pajamas and a few beautiful dresses. Then we get stuff for my bathroom and some nice soft royal blue bedsheets.

I smile softly as we load it all up into the backseat of the small car we had taken. Soon, we get back home and Judy, Ron, and Sam help me carry it all to my room where they then leave me to put it all away.

About am hour or two later, I smile as I put the last of my stuff away. I look at the time and realize Judy and I had spent almost the entire day shopping and that it was now time for dinner. I smile as I head downstairs.

I see Ron out back, cooking something on the grill and I go to join him. He smiles as he sees me before going back to what he was grilling. I inhale deeply as the smell of steak hits my nostrils.

"That smells amazing", I say, with a smile.

"It does, doesn't it? You excited to have some steak?" Ron looked really excited.

"I am. I have never had steak before."

Ron's eyes nearly bulged out of his head. I could have sworn he was about to faint but he didn't and goes back to the steaks, finishing up cooking them. He hands me one on a plate and motions to the table that was set up outside. I smile as I go sit at it and wait politely for everyone to join me. Sam soon shows up and I nod at him.

We wait and soon Ron and Judy join us. Everyone starts eating and I try a bite of the steak. My eyes widen and I start to scarf it down.

"Kaetlen, sweetie, are you alright? You act as if you've never had steak before", Judy says politely.

"That's because she hasn't", Ron says before I could even swallow to speak. I swallowed what was in my mouth and spoke.

"He is correct. I have never had steak before but now I wish to have more when we have it next", I say, my face emotionless.

Judy nods and we continue eating though I eat slower this time, savoring every juicy, delicious, spice-filled bite.

"Hey, Dad..." Sam starts. "Do you think I could get a car?"

"Hmm... If you can get two thousand dollars and three A's, I'll pay for the other half of a car", Ron says.

Sam grins and continues eating. Ron turns to me. "Kaetlen, would you like a car?"

I look at him before speaking. "I would, however there is one issue. I do not know how to drive."

Ron and Judy looks at me in surprise before seemingly remembering that they had just adopted me yesterday.

"Oh, well, Ron can teach you, sweetie", Judy says.

"I would be grateful to be taught", I say with a small smile.

"Then we'll begin tomorrow!" Ron seemed excited. I smile softly before shaking my head.

"What are my requirements to be able to recieve a car?" I brought up the question that I knew would be important.

"Oh... Um... You have to pass Driver's Ed and you have to get two thousand dollars", Ron says. I nod before finishing off the last bit of my steak, and politely excusing myself, taking my dish with me and rinsing it off in the kitchen sink before heading up to my room. I decide to take a shower and familiarize myself with my bathroom a little. I grab some of my new pajamas and go into the bathroom, taking a quick but relaxing and cleansing shower. I knew I was partly covered in dirt since at the orphanage there was never really enough money to let everyone take showers. When we could take showers, I made sure the youngest always got the first one because they are the most susceptible to sickness.

I smile as I feel the dirt wash away from my face and feel the grease disappear from my hair. I quickly wash my hair and my body before turning off the warm water and stepping out of the shower. I grab one of my fluffy sky blue towels and wrap it around myself before heading to the mirror and looking at myself. I look so much better now. You can clearly see my black hair and my medium skin tone. I smiled before grabbing a brush and brushing out all the snarls. I had a ton of snarls that needed to be taken care of. After about half an hour of pulling a brush through my hair, I smiled and pulled it back into a braid. I can never wear my hair down when I sleep. It bugs me too much. I pull on my super soft and fluffy royal blue pajama pants as well as my not as soft and fluffy royal blue shirt. I decide to head to bed and find out what is going on tomorrow. It's a Monday and so that means school. I fall back onto my bed and as soon as my head hit the pillow, I was out like a light.