Seoul-o; A Month Solo in Seoul

I traveled to Seoul to check off a bucket list item. 

I wanted, just once, to drop myself in a foreign land where I didn't know the language and see how well I'd fare. I wanted the challenge of knowing I knew no one would come to my rescue. I wanted to be alone in the world and see how I met it, and it met me. As a woman traveling alone so far from home for the first time, I was expecting hardships.

What I didn't expect was to find myself in a land so far from home. I found myself everywhere. In the food, the people, the history, and the country. I fell in love with an entire city and culture. Which is saying something, coming from a girl who moved into the wilds to get away from the city in the first place.

I didn't want to do the usual tourist things for a month. I wanted to see what the real Seoul looked like, felt like, and smelled like. Seoul has one of the most tourist friendly transit systems in the world. And I could say I almost abused it. I would take a random bus or train, get off when I was tired of riding. Then I'd walk. 

Seoul is ridiculously safe for a woman wandering alone.

I watched people not so different from me going about their daily lives. Although, I could tell a few were wondering what the waygook was doing so far from Namsan Tower or the Han River.

 Although, I could tell a few were wondering what the waygook was doing so far from Namsan Tower or the Han River

Me, being me, had to sample everything I could get my hands on. I hit up cultural festivals. I hit up live concerts. I hit up nightclubs. I hit up bars. I hit up the makkoli, soju, and mekju. And quickly learned how to ask for a bathroom in Korean. I learned soju and "My Lemon Tree" flavor from the local BR makes an excellent combination. I'm not sorry. 

The food was amazing

The food was amazing. My favorites came from the YoGiYo app. It's not for those who can't read Hangul, that's for sure, but I found some new loves. Like kimchi fried rice and jjajangmyun delivered right to my door after a long day of walking around the city. Korean food delivery is nothing less than magical. If you get the chance, I highly recommend the jokbal place to the left of exit 6 of the Dangsan Station. Or pretty much any Korean bbq joint.