Prologue: READ (!)

Her arm was now tingling. A warm sensation of confusing excitement washed over her body. The tingling was now focused to just her wrist and was annoying as hell. She wrapped her hand around her wrist to try to soothe the feeling. She was greeted by a hot burn instead. She jumped back in shock.

"Ow!" Elise said shaking out her hand. She turned to the heavy breaths of her best friend, Marley. Marley's eyes were big and she was pointing at Elise's wrist. "Elise...look at your wrist."

Elise turned over her arm only to find her emerald glowing. Of course. Of course. Of course. She traced a finger lightly over the sparkling gem, careful not to burn herself as before. How could she be so clueless to not realize it was her gem? It glowed so brightly that a ray of light was casted above it. The once dull stone in her wrist was now a beautiful green attraction. She stared at the beauty of it in awe. She'd seen it happen in movies, to her older sister, some of her friends even, but Elise never expected it to be this beautiful. Not only was her outside was positive, but her insides were screaming with delight.

She felt Marley's hand on her shoulder as she brought her close to her ear to say something over the screams and music. "Elise. This means your soulmate's here. Somewhere close. Who is it?"

The thought went completely past Elise's mind. She was so entranced by the beauty of the gem, that she had forgotten what the purpose of it was for: to find her soulmate. This meant that her and her soulmate had to have locked eyes. Accidentally or not. Her mind raced with possible soulmates she had made eye contact with. The pretty girl who bumped into her? The security guard? The blonde girl right next to her? Or behind her? Of course she was at a fucking concert-and not to mention that there where thousands of people in the crowd she could've seen. A growing need caused her to naturally look up at the stage. Her heart dropped to her stomach, and that's when she knew it was him. She stood in shock as the lead singer of 5 Seconds Of Summer stared back at her. He knew it too.

**************************************************************************************************************************This story takes place in a world where everybody is born with a gem implanted into their wrists. The gems have a visible color, but are overall dull. The gem continues to be dull until eye contact is made between soulmates. The first time eye contact is made, the gem glows so bright the color of white, red, or green is cast in light above the wrist. After that, the gem continues to be bright, but the casted light slowly fades away. Some religions believe the light fades into the souls. The light is so bright in the beginning (biologically speaking) to easily guide the soulmates to each other. This allows the light to guide two souls together with out a hassle. The gem can either be a diamond, a ruby, or an emerald. The three different colors represent different "love" characteristics that people are born with. For example, a ruby stands for true beauty stating the love will be meaningful as the ruby-born person will be great inside and out. The diamond stands for understandment, as the diamond-born couple will know each other so well that they can understand each other's needs with little conflict. Emeralds stand for devoted passion, the emerald couple can expect a deep love that brings meaning to life. Some people find their soulmates when they are young, just children when their gem glows. Although more unlikely, due to technology and nature, some go their whole life without finding their gem match. Even more unlikely, some gem-matched divorce and break up (long term speaking). This is frustrating as the gem is supposed to be naturally a perfect match. Some also, make eye contact with their gem mate by accident causing them to try to find each other as time passes, hopelessly lost. People do date other people with un-matching gems. They are looked down upon but it is a common idea. People also sometimes date other people with different gems. For example, as a diamond gem can only glow due to another diamond gem, people still date diamond to ruby. The gems found in human bodies are not perfectly shaped, some get plastic surgery to try to make it seem like it or even to get a new gem. This is why gems in nature are so valued. Overall, the gem is a biological trait that allows humans to find their match leading to better reproduction rates, less conflicts, and less human stress.

************************************************************************************************************************* Sorry if this was super confusing. I hope not! It's definitely a different fan fiction idea lol. Anyway, if you have any questions about the world you can contact me. I hope you enjoy the stories and can read to the good stuff! The begginging's always to hardest to write. Hope you enjoy!!

xoxo Lilac