Chapter One

"Come on Elise. We don't want to be late." Marley yelled at her friend. She had been anticipating this concert for a long time. She loved Ed Sheeran and had scored two floor seats in the third row from the stage. They even had "Sheerio" tanks from Etsy. Marley was not going to have Elise ruin her perfect day. Elise was putting on her final touch of makeup. Her dark brown waves hung down her shoulders, and her eyes stood out more thanks to the eye shadow and mascara. She grabbed a hoodie in case she got cold and hurried out the door.

In Marley's car played Ed Sheeran's latest album. The song "Red to my Ruby" was playing and Marley was humming along to it. When the chorus hit, Elise started harmonizing with Ed, a technique she picked up from choir, while Marley belted it out in a horrible, loud voice. "MAKE MY RUUUUBY GLOW REDDD MY WRIST IS WAITING ITS WAITING OHHH OHHH!" The girls burst out into laughter at Marley's voice. As the giggles faded, Marley turned the song down a little and took a quick glance at her friend before concentrating on the road again.

"What if...just what if, my gem starts glowing when Ed Sheeran makes eye contact with me?" Elise tried to hold in her laughter, as her friend was trying to be completely serious.

"Honey, he has a ruby-you have a diamond. You can only be paired with the same gem." Elise reminded her.

"I know, but there's always that possibility. Remember that one movie where the boy's emerald glows due to another boy's ruby and-"

"Movie. Marley. Movie." Elise looked over at her friend who looked disappointed. She was acting like a 10-year-old fan girl who was convinced their match was their celebrity crush. She tried to think of something to reassure her friend. "Marley, someday the perfect boy or girl is going to make your diamond glow so white you're going to understand why you should just trust nature."

"Thanks Elise. You too. I just wish my gem was a ruby. Ruby wrists are soo much prettier." Marley whined.

"Ohh god Marley. Stop. We are going to be like 2 feet away from Ed Sheeran and not to mention the opening act: 5 Seconds Of Summer, I mean how hot are they?" Marley was still aloof. "I heard the drummer, Ashton has a diamond wrist."

"He does..." Marley said. She had everything to know about all the latest popular artist. As the girls drove on, the closer they got to the arena the more it seemed thier excitment grew.

***

Girls were screaming everywhere. When Elise looked up, the big screen on the stage was counting down from 5, (ironically). The screaming got louder as the boys made their way to the stage.

"Luke is sooo hot! I can't even!" yelled the girl behind Elise. Elise grinned as she watched the boys, they were pretty good. She liked the colored hair boy and the dimpled drummer in the back. A muscular boy was directly in front of Elise. Was his name Calvin? Calum? She read somewhere in her magazine it was something like that. And then she noticed the blonde singer. He played with his ear plug and Elise found herself noting how he was quite attractive. Suddenly, her arm felt weird. Hot, stinging, and alerting. She tried to ignore it and focus on the concert, but her attention was lost.

Her arm was now tingling. A warm sensation of confusing excitement washed over her body. The tingling was now focused to just her wrist and was was annoying as hell. She wrapped her hand around her wrist to try to soothe the feeling. She was greeted by a hot burn instead. She jumped back in shock.

"Ow!" Elise said shaking out her hand. She turned to the heavy breaths of her best friend, Marley. Marley's eyes were big and she was pointing at Elise's wrist. "Elise...look at your wrist."

Elise turned over her arm only to find her emerald glowing. Of course. Of course. Of course. She traced a finger lightly over the sparkling gem, careful not to burn herself as before. How could she be so clueless to not realize it was her gem. It glowed so brightly that a ray of light was cast above it. The once dull stone in her wrist was now a beautiful green attraction. She stared at the beauty of it in awe. She'd seen it happen in movies, to her older sister, some of her friends even, but Elise never expected it to be this beautiful. Not only was her outside was positive, but her inside was screaming with delight.