Story #1~Coffee Beans and Caramel Shots (2018)

You came as a ray of light,
Made my life cheerful and bright,
Showering your affection over me
So that my face was full of glee.

~Shishir

Blowing an auburn strand of hair out of my face, I set the Caffè Mocha onto the counter, but not before calling out the name written onto the side of the plastic cup with black edding.

"Alyson. Is there an Alyson here?"

A pretty girl with wispy, long hair looked up from her phone and made her way towards the counter with a smile on her tanned face.

"Oh, my god, you have absolutely no idea, like, how long I've been waiting for thi- "

She stopped in the middle of the sentence, an incredulous look on her face. She had taken the plastic cup filled with the frothy goodness and now held it with an iron fist, her full lips pressed into a firm line.

"How can a person still look so gorgeous while being so outraged at the same time?" I asked myself.

It just didn't seem right that daily customers who constantly order caramel macchiatos could still maintain a stunning figure.

The girl in front of me, Alyson, finally spoke, well, screamed really.

"Like, what the Fuck is this?!"

She thrusted the cup in front of my face so that I noticed her French manicure with little pink bows

Wincing at her fourth word, I raised my eyes, daring to return her gaze which was burning holes into my forehead. Her light blue eyes were filled with rage, as if there were bonfires hiding in the depths of her irises.

"Don't be a baby, Autumn, it's just a curse word that you hear everyday on the streets." I reminded myself. It's just a lot harder to ignore if it's being screeched directly into your face.

"It's a plastic cup, miss."

A few customers still waiting for their drinks snickered quietly in the background, but this seemed to anger Alyson more.

"It's Allison, with two l's and an i!"

Sighing, I waited until she finished her mini-rant. This happened everyday, as far as I could remember. It was normally me who got the lecture about spelling someone's name wrong, even though I had nothing to do with it.

Some of the people feel exasperated, but leave quietly without causing a ruckus. But as I work in a busy city center, I get the pleasure of getting insulted by business people, teenagers, workers and all sorts of people who pass by Coffee Bean to get a beverage, and the one person I could thank that for was-

"Well?"

I had completely been lost in my thoughts that I hadn't noticed that Allison had finished with her rants.

"I am very sorry for the inconvenience caused, but I'm afraid I cannot do anything. Or do you want me to correct the name by scribbling all over?"

Allison was silent for a moment, then she tossed her dark blonde locks back.

"Don't think that I will be, like, back here again!" She warned before exiting the building with her brunette friend.

I served three more customers before turning to the tall, tanned boy at the cashier.

"Jeremy! I told you a million times before to stop writing the names wrong! At this rate, we're going to lose all our customers!"

"Oh come on Autumn, where's the fun without the signature Coffee Shop shtick? By the way, what do you think of this?"