Fifty

The next couple of days turn out to be the first peek I get into how busy my life is going to be. Devin has a bunch of emails and forms I need to sign and get back to her, contracts with this recording studio I need to read through, and the stuff Rob had sent over regarding the performance in the fall. I'm trying to get some songs knocked out, too, but in between that, taking care of both the cats and now the alpacas for him, and having a social life with Robert, I'm starting to get worn out. Not to mention that Robert's actually trying to quit smoking, to my actual surprise, and he's been off and on irritable and not quite as quirky as normal...but I forgive him.

Gwyneth's party is pretty much what I'd expect from Goop. It's high class, but relaxed. Mostly staff, her kids...a couple work friends, like Robert. It's private, and secluded in the mountains, with an outdoor set up and a gorgeous view of the city...and probably the fireworks, as well.

But it's not something that's as fancy as the awards so Robert and I get dressed ourselves, though I do put on a nice blue dress I picked up the other day. Robert's got the usual dark wash jeans on, refusing to upscale it any more, and a white shirt with a red jacket tied over his shoulders to complete the red white and blue look. He's quite patriotic, apparently..or festive. Not sure which.

Regardless, the dinner is nice, and no one really gives us much attention, which is amazing. Robert's schmoozing with her guests though, leaving me a listening companion for most of it since I don't know a lot of their work, still.

At some point I excuse myself to the bar, deciding to have a glass of wine, and that's when I'm hit with the first taste of rude Hollywood...not that Gwyneth did this or anything, but just that it happened in general. Trust me, I don't plan on telling her...not today.

Anyway, here's what happens...

There's a guy in a suit, probably around my age, and he watches from his lean against the bar top as I stroll over and retrieve the glass of red from the bartender. He doesn't say anything, just watches, until I thank the man behind the counter and I catch his eye.

"Fun party, isn't it?" he asks me, and I raise an eyebrow as I take a sip, taking in the sarcasm coating his voice.

"I think it turned out very nice," I answer truthfully; Gwyn's got an eye for this decor stuff, and I wouldn't have expected anything less decorative.

"It's better now," he smirks, and holds out a hand. "I'm Drew," he tells me.

So, being kind, I smile and shake it, introducing myself as well; apparently he doesn't know me, but not a lot do. "Rachel."

"Right," he murmurs. "So, didn't know hey co-star had kids," he continues, sincere as all hell, and I blink, processing.

I look back to where he nods, back at Robert, who's still talking with the couple I left him with, and then my focus returns to Drew. Oh my God, is he seriously being a dick about the age difference right now? No way. Oh, this is going to be great.

"I'm sorry?" I ask in return, wanting to make sure I'm reading this right.

"With your dad, right?"

I crack my jaw, shaking my head with a smirk and looking down at my glass. "I..no, actually, I'm with my boyfriend," I tell him, then turn to leave him hanging. "Lovely to meet you, Drew."

And thank God Robert's returning to our table, because I stride over, placing the glass down, and grab him by the cheeks and plant a big kiss on his lips when I join him at the table. His eyebrows raise, I can feel it, and then he's tilting his head, confused.

"You haven't been this needy since-" he starts, but I'm glaring at the bar, at the man who's just watching from far away.

He eventually turns back to the bar when we lock eyes, and then I'm sighing and grabbing the wine again as I finally sit down into my own chair.