Chapter 14 Home for The Holiday

Mattie got out of the car and saw her father and grandparents waiting for her, but not her brothers. She went quickly to Charles and hugged him tight as he held her lifting her up of the ground and kissing her several times.
"I've missed you so much Papa." She said as she hid her face in his chest and cried tears of joy.
"Not half as much as I've missed you." Charles told her as he kissed the top of her head. "I love you Mattie so very much."
She looked at him. "I love you too." She released him and hugged her grandfather, saving her beloved grandmother for last."Grandpa I've missed you."
Phillip held her tight as he kissed her. "I have missed you too sweet girl, you have no idea how much. I love you and I am so proud of you."
She beamed as she looked at him. "Thanks, I love you too." She turned and hugged her grandmother very tight. Truth is that she missed Granny worse than anyone. "Granny I've missed you so much it hurt." She cried.
"Oh baby girl so have I. you are so special to me and I have missed seeing your beautiful face everyday. i love you so much and I am beyond proud of you." Granny said as she kissed her cheek.
"Love you too Granny."
"I know. your brothers aren't home yet but we're expecting them shortly."
Mattie went to their apartment and unpacked, as she was she heard the door open and William call out for her. She ran out and launched herself in his arms, he easily caught his younger and much smaller sister and swung her around. "Oh my God Mattie Bug I have so missed you." William said his voice thick with emotions.
She just held onto him, "Me too Will, me too."
"Let me see you." He said as he put her down, keeping his hands on her shoulders. "You look more and more like Mum every day. I love you."
She smiled, "And you look like Pop, love you too."
"You've lost weight."
"I'm fine." She countered.
"Harry here yet?"
"Nope."
"How long are you home for?"
"Was going to be two weeks, but now it's a little over 3 weeks."
William grinned. "I'm so happy about that. The three of us will need to do some things okay?"
"Yes we do. Hope to see Kate too."
"You will."
She smiled, "Good. Will I met the perfect girl for Harry."
William laughed, "You know he hates when you do that."
"Nah he's all talk."
The two unpacked and were in the sitting room when Harry came in, both rushed to him, Mattie got to him first and hugged him tight. Harry was more than her brother, he was her best friend and she hated not seeing him every day. Harry held his sister tight to him as he kissed the top of her head. "I've missed you Harry." She said simply.
"Same here litte sister." He told her as they parted.
William and Harry hugged and after Harry unpacked the three went outside and walked around the castle grounds. They spent several hours together talking and catching up until they had to go get ready for dinner with the family. They enjoyed the dinner, but were looking forward to after wards when the three were planning on staying up and watching a couple movies. The next day they were going to have lunch with Kate and Eric as well as Harry's new girlfriend Jill. After lunch they were going to spend some time in town before all of them changing and going to a club.
They enjoyed their time together for the first week, the second week was a lot of Royal duties ending with the family's Christmas dinner. Several of their cousins talked to Mattie about her gap year. They also talked to William and Harry about some of the pictures they had seen in the tabloids of Mattie in New Orleans. Harry laughed it off, but William did not. He was clearly embrassed over it even though Harry told him that it as no big deal, but William didn't agree with them. He took his position in the Royal family very serious and expected his brother and sister to take it just as serious and he knew neither did and that frustrated him to no end. He not only took his job as the oldest seriousy, but also he took being the heir very serious. He finally told his cousins that he would talk to her about it and to drop it.
"Will, don't get on her about it." Harry said once the two were alone.
"Somebody has to Harry, Pop doesn't neither does Granny. Neither one of you take our position seriously. Why is it only me that shoud be held to these standards, you both should too. The rules apply to the two of you just the same as they do to me."
"Damn Will, you act like we break laws or something. So she got caught drinking, big deal, so I did, big deal. Yes we are members of the Royal family and yes we are held to higher standards and believe it or not oh mighty heir we know all of that. What you seem to forget is that I am 20 and she is 19, both spreading our wings for the first time." Harry snapped and walked away.
William frowned as he watched him go over to Mattie and the two started to talk both looking at him as they did.
They next day William met with Kate for lunch and on his way he had picked up sevral tabloids that had pictures of Mattie coming out of the bars in New Orleans, her kissing Eric, then dancing and laughing at a club. He saw pictures of Harry coming out of a bar, swinging at a reporter, kissing Jill. He also knew that both of his sibling have done a lot of good and he knew the pictures of them doing good never made the front pages, just their screw ups did, which right now seems to out shine their good deeds. Mattie was captured drunk and messing up more than Harry did. He knew that Pop wasn't going to say a word to either one of them, he's worse with Mattie then Harry. Charles allows them to do whatever they want and it pisses William off and as Mattie gets older and looks more and more like their mother the less anyone comes down on her. So he will, it is his job after all.
He showed the pictures to Kate and asked her what she thought.
She frowned slightly, "Will, they are young and I mean Mattie was in New Orleans, it is a party city. Talk to them, but hold your temper and remember first they are your brother and sister."
"I know that Kate, I do. But all of our lives I was always they one that had to tow the line and the two of them just didn't seem to care about the rules and it's just not fair. Harry has always been more wild, but Mattie is more defiant and I swear she loves to see how far she can push Pop until he blows up. Now as she goes and looks so much like Mum no one likes to come down on her. I get that it's her gap, but she still needs to remember who the hell she is and who she is representing. same for Harry, he stumbled out of a pub and punched a reporter. Yes it sucks that we can't go anywhere without getting a picture taken but damnit they should be use to it and learn to act right."
"But Will, you three won't be together again until your father's wedding, do you really want to get into this with them now?" Kate questioned.
"Now is when I have to. Harry is going to the Academy soon and Mattie will also be joining soon, which by the way I am still against. We are still at war and I don't want her to go and fight."
"She has her mind set on that, you need to support her in it."
He signed. "I want to, but I'm scared too. She is little and I don't think she can hande it."
"You can't say things like that Will, you'll piss her off."
"I know but I just see her as a little girl and I just want to protect her."
"I know you do babe, but you can't say that to her."
He nodded. "I know that, but I will talk to them about this drinking, they are out of control."
She nodded, "If that's what you think is best."
Harry and Mattie frowned as they saw the tabloids, "Is this what's got William all pissed?" Mattie questioned.
"Yeah, a couple of the cousins told him about it." Harry said. "I think he's going to say something."
She rolled her eyes. "Great, so we can look forward to a fight with him."
Harry signed and nodded. "You know how he is, he takes all of this shit so damn serious. He thinks we need to be perfect all the time. It's like he's never fucked up ever and we know he has. He just doesn't get caught like we do. We handle them different then he does. He keeps the Paparizzi at an arms length and we don't. We do take more chances but damn we are just drinking and enjoying ourselves."
"Right, I swear he's an old 23 year old. I know he's going to be pissed that I drank in America, after all there I am still under age. But Harry that was the only time we really partied. The whole time in Tennessee we worked, except a coupe nights we tried moonshine with them."
Harry's eyes lit up. "Oh you are so lucky. What was it like?"
"It was pretty good, don't worry I brought some home as well as a jar of cherries that are soaking in it. It's strong for America."
"Did Eric like it?"
"He did, Alana loved it and Roger did too. No one saw us doing that we were too far in the mountains. Harry you need to go there, they are some strong proud people. It is by far the most beautiful part of the States that I've ever seen."
"After you get done with the Academy, we'll see if we can get leave and go. Even bring the old stick in the mud Will. Think he'll try moonshine?"
Mattie shrugged, "Maybe. Wanna try some now?"
Harry nodded.
She grinned and ran to her room and brought out two large mason jars, one was filled with a clear liquid and the other was filled with cherries and the liquid. She grabbed two spoons but no glasses.
"You forgot glasses Mattie." Harry pointed out as she sat down.
"That's not how they do it Harry." She giggled. "Right out of the jar there brother." She handed him a spoon and opened the jar with the cherries. They both dug a couple cherries outof the jar with their spoos, as well as some moonshine after all she did get table spoons. They held the spoons out to each other and lightly tapped them together and ate the cherries, both drinking the moonshine as well.
Harry made a face at the taste, but Mattie didn't.
"Well?" She asked after a minute.
He smiled, "It burns, but the cherry helps. Man that is good."
"Right." She opened the other jar. "This is corn moonshine, I also have peach cobbler and apple cider." She took a big sip and handed it to her brother.
He smelled it and raised his eyebrows at the strong smell, then shrugged and also took a big sip. He made a face as he swallowed and grinned as they each grabbed some more cherries.
"Good right?" She asked.
"It is."
She smiled as she took a couple more sips before handing it to her brother. She told him about when they visited the Cherokee tribe and got to smoke the peace pipe and were surprised by the feeling it gave them. It didn't make them high or anything just felt calm and at peace. She had also brought home some of the tobacco they had smoked and the two went to the tower and smoked it with a peace pipe the tribe had given her. They spent a couple hours up there talking and drinking moonshine before they both went back to the apartment and put everything away. Both were feeling the effects of the moonshine and were watching the tellie and laughing at it when William got home.
"Hey King Willie." Mattie greeted and laughed.
"What's up your Royal Majisty?" Harry giggled.
William frowned. "Are you both drunk?"
"Yes we are." Mattie confirmed. "Moonshine big brother, want some?"
"No I do not. You snuck moonshine in Mattie?"
"Nope, just brought it in. No sneaking required."
"You can't bring alcohol in."
"But I did."
"Jesus Mattie, you could've gone to jail for that."
"But I didn't. Can't wait to try some homemade liquir from Africa, gonna sneak that home too." She told him. "Like their wine and banana beer. Can't wait to try it. Live a little Willie."
"Yeah Willie, enjoy life every now and then. We are so lucky to be able to visit these other countries and enjoy their food and drinks." Harry added.
He took a deep breath. "Do not call me Willie, you both know I hate that."
The two younger siblings just shrugged and turned back to the movie they were watching.
William frowned as he stared at them. He knew he couldn't talk to them tonight, it would have to wait until they were sober. He watched them laugh and signed and sat next to Mattie. "Okay Mattie, I'll try some." He said deciding to enjoy the night with them. After all Kate was right this will be the last time they are together for a while.
Mattie grinned and went to her room and brought back out the two jars, she grabbed three spoons and sat between her brothers and gave them each a spoon. She opened the one with the cherries and her and Harry each dug out a couple, William hesitated for a minute before he also dug out a couple. The three tapped their spoons together and at the same time ate the cherries. Harry and Mattie easily ate them but William made a face at the taste before he also ate them.
"That's pretty good." William said as Mattie opened the other mason jar and took a sip and handed it to Harry who also took a sip before giving it to William. He took it and smelled it. "Damn that smells awful." He complained.
"Don't smell it." Mattie told him.
"I need a glass."
"No, just take a swig."
He took a deep breath and took a large gulp, making a face as it burned going down and a slow smied formed on his lips as he took another big gulp before handing it back. He also ate some more cherries and before long she pulled out the peace pipe and the three went to the tower and smoked it and drank together. Harry and Mattie each took small sips. She also brough the apple cider one with her and William really liked that one and before long all three were pretty drunk and back on the sofa watching a movie and laughing. Mattie put it away and once again sat between her brothers as they watched a comedy and laughed loudly together. By the time Charles got home, all three were passed out on the sofa. Mattie was laying down with her head on William's lap and her feet on Harry's. William was half laying down, one leg up on the couch in front of his sister, his arm protectively around her. Harry was laying with his head on Mattie's side and his legs daggling off the couch, his arm over his sister and his brother. He knew they were passed out drunk, but he wasn't mad so he covered them each with blankets and turned off the tellie and the lights and went to bed.
The next morning William woke first and quietly untangled himself from his siblings laying Mattie's head gently on the couch and kissing the top of her head before he also kissed the top of Harry's head and went to his bathroom and took a very long shower. When he got out, both were already up and also in the shower. He made tea for him and Harry and their father and coffee for his sister, like their mother she can't stand tea.
Harry and Alana came out and smiled at him as they took their drinks from him and sat next to him. Both still had wet hair, Mattie's was pulled back in a ponytail.
"I'm really glad you joined us last night Will." Mattie told him. "It was a lot of fun."
He smiled at her. "It was. I've missed you two."
"Same for me." Mattie said.
"And me."
They were talking about nothing when Charles came out and joined them. The four enjoyed a quiet day at home until their last formal dinner that night. It was a charity event, which Camila, Kate, Jill and Eric were escorting them. The four arrived early to get ready at the palace. The men all got ready together, all four were wearing tuxes, Charles had a black tie to match Camlia's black dress, William had a red tie to match Kate's dress, Harry had a purple tie to match Jill's dress and Eric wore a blue tie to match Mattie's blue dress. The men were ready and waiting on the women.
Camila came out first and she looked amazing in her dress