Chapter 17 The Academy

Mattie put the pen down, she finally finished the test to go into The Royal Military Academy of Sandhurst. She was praying her scores would be high enough to go into comunications. She was nervous and so excited. Harry was we ahead of her in his 44 week training and like her brother she wil be Officer Cadet Wales. She could hardly wait to go, but for now she was going to enjoy the last 5 weeks as a civilian. Harry would come home for Christmas and afterwards they along with Eric would go to the Academy, of course Harry would complete his training in April, where Mattie and Eric would be commished in late October.
It was three days later that Mattie was told her scores were indeed high enough to go in comunications, Eric was also going in the same field. Harry arrived shortly after she found out and when she hugged him she told him in a rush.
Harry just grinned as he hugged her tight. "Knew you would Mattie." He said.
"Knew she would what?" William asked as he and Charles came in and greeted Harry.
"My scores were high enough to go in the field I wanted." Mattie told them as she grinned. She was very excited and a little proud of herself.
Charles hugged her. "I'm proud of you angle face."
"Thanks Pop."
William also hugged her, "Good job Mattie bug." He told her, but there wasn't any excitement in his voice.
Mattie smiled as she hugged him back, she also heard the false excitement in his voice but she decided to ignore it.
Over the next week the family stayed in and did no public appearances so they could enjoy the time they had with Harry and Mattie. Everyone was excited and nervous to see them go but they knew that the two would do great things. The only one that struggled to act excited was William. He easily showed pride for Harry but Mattie he was scared for. He feared that she would get hurt, that she wasn't strong enough for the Military.
Mattie did her best to ignore the doubts that William had, she wished he could be happy for her but she knew he wasn't.
"Will doesnt want me to go." Mattie told Harry a couple nights before they were due to leave.
Harry frowned, he knew what she said was true. "He still looks at you as his baby sister. He's scared for you." Harry explained.
"I get that Harry, but it feels more then that. I think he doesn't think I can do it. He believes I'll fail and that pisses me off. I won't fail, I know I won't. I'm not stupid I know it'll be hard but I can do it. I want to do it. I have my mind set on it. I'm so excited but when I look at Will I see disappointment."
Harry signed as he put his arm around her. "Then Mattie prove the heir wrong, make him eat his words and his doubt."
She laid her head on his shoulder. "Just wish he'd be happy for me. Wish he'd be proud of me. He thinks I'm doing this to give Pop or Granny a headache. But I'm not. I love my country and I can't think of a better way to serve than this."
Harry nodded. "Pop is proud of you and so is Granny. They're worried because we are still at war and they know that both me and you will go if we are called too. But I'm not scared to fight Mattie and I know you aren't either."
"I'm not scared at all. Just sucks is all. I mean he's going to go in the Navy. Why is it so right for you and for him but not me?" She asked as she stood and paced. "Doesn't he realize how much I admire him? How much I look up to him? How all I ever wanted was for him to say that he's proud of me, that he has my back no matter what. But he don't Harry, not with the choices I'm making."
Harry stood and walked over to her. He felt the tension between the two and it broke his heart. He loved his brother and sister so much and it hurt to see them at odds. All of their lives it was always the three of them against the world. But lately it hasn't been. William is so against her going into the Military and she is so for going in the Military that it is causing a serious fracture between them. Harry has tried not to take sides, he sees both. He too is scared for his sister and part of him wishes she would stay in England and go to school. On the other hand he sees how her eyes light up every time she talks about it, he sees the excitement she has. He also knows that she knows what she is doing, she doesn't have false ideas in her head. She knows it will be hard. He knows that William just wants her safe and he loves her so much that it hurts him to think that she coud be in danger.
"Will loves you you know that right?" He asked her.
"I guess, but I don't think he likes me much."
"Do you love him?"
"Yes!" She snapped like Harry was stupid.
He smiled, "Okay, then always remember that okay?"
She nodded.
They went out to the living room to wait on William and Charles and Camilia so the five could walk to the Great Hall to have Christmas dinner with the entire family.
Soon the four were walking quietly to dinner. It was a comfortable silence.
After they arrived the family waited for the Queen and Prince Phillip, once they arrived and the Queen sat so did the rest of the family. Conversation flowed easy between the Royal family members. It wasn't common to have all of them in one location so they were enjoying the time with each other.
"Are you nervous Mattie?" Her younger cousin Beatrice asked her.
Mattie nodded. "I am, but I'm real excited as well"
"I don't think I could go in the Military."
"You could if you wanted to."
Beatrice smiled and nodded. "I want to go to Stanford."
"Then I'm sure you will."
Beatrice nodded.
"I'm really proud of you both." Andrew told Harry and Mattie as everyone was getting ready to leave. "I loved my time in the Military and I know the two of you will as well. It is a scary thing more now than ever."
Mattie hugged her Uncle."Thanks Uncle Andrew."
He kissed her cheek and nodded.
Harry and Mattie left a head of William and Charles and Camilia. By the time Charles, Camilia and Wiliam walked in both Harry and Mattie were changed to their night clothes and were sitting on the couch watching the tellie. Charles bid his three children a good night and he and Camilia retired to their room.
"Join us Will." Harry said.
William nodded."Let me change."
Soon William was sitting next to Mattie, as she sat in the middle. The three watched and laughed for several hours before they too went to bed. It was a good night, one that Mattie would carry with her for a long time after it.
"Pop can't you talk her out of going?" William asked his father the next day. Harry and Mattie were still in bed and were leaving the next day to report for duty.
"Son even if I could I wouldn't. I would never deny one of my children their chance to fulfill their dream. This is what she wants, what she always wanted since she was a child. Don't you see the excitement in her eyes."
"But we're at war Pop. Neither are the heir so they could both be deployed."
"I know Will, trust me I know. Do I want either of them at war. No, what parent would? But they will be wel trained and I know that if they are called they will go. This is personal for them. It began on September 11th and now they will finish it."
William signed. "I understand that Pop, Harry I know can handle it. But Mattie is so small, what if she can't? You know her pride won't allow her to back out."
Charles frowned. "Yes your sister is small, but she is one of the strongest person I know. She has the strength to do whatever she sets her mind on. She's got this Will and you need to back her. She needs to know that you stand behind her."
"But I don't, I can't. This isn't right. She should be going to school, not to war. Doesn't she care what this is doing to you or Granny or me? Does she think that Eric or Harry will always be there to protect her? She os being foolish."
Charles shook his head. "No she isn't. This isn't a foolish decision son. It is a honorable one and I woudn't be surprised if she ends up protecting Eric and Harry. You must come to terms with this Wiliam, they are leaving tomorrow."
"I can't come to terms with this. What would Mum say Pop?"
"You know very well what your mother would say. She would hug them and tell them to be safe and that she is so proud of them and that she loves them."
"She'd be scared."
"She would, but she wouldn't let either of them know that."
William signed. "I'm sorry Pop, but I think it's wrong, I don't think she'll make it. I think she'll fail but her damn pride won't let her admit that. I believe it is a huge mistake. It is the wrong decision for her and in my mind she is only doing it for herself."
At that point both Harry and Mattie walked out. "Well I'm glad I finally know how you feel Will." Mattie snapped, her eyes glistened with tears but also were full of anger. "I had hoped for your support but I see now that won't ever happen. This feels right to me and I won't fail but thanks for the confidence there brother."
William looked at her, "Mattie think about about it. You're so little. Do you really believe you have what it takes to do this?" He asked.
"Size don't mean shit William and not only do I believe I can do I know I can. I didn't belittle you when you decided on schoo before the Navy did I? No I backed you. But can you give me the same? No you can't. Well guess what Will I'm going to go and I will succeed that I promise you."
"Okay so say you do, what are you going to do if they depoly you?"
"Uh, I'll go." She told him like he was stupid.
"My God Mattie, honestly what would you do in a war?"
"I would fight, I will protect and fight for my country."
"You act like this is a selfless act little sister, but it's not. You are doing this for you and you don't care what anyone else think."
She glared at him. "It is my life William, yes this is my choice. But don't you dare think I don't care what people think. I've had a long discussion with Pop, Granny, Granddad and others. I know everyone is scared that me or Harry could be deployed but here's the difference between them and you even though they are scared they still support me."
"How do you expect me to support you when I know this is a mistake. You don't have it in you do do this Mattie, you are not strong enough. But you won't ever admit that because of your stupid pride."
She stared at him in silence as what he said really hit her. "Okay Will, believe that." She said calmly. "I won't do this to prove you wrong. I'm going to succeed because I know I will. I know it in my heart." She turned and waked back to her her room and closed the door.
"You are a complete ass." Harry told William.
"Harry, come on. Do you truly believe she can do this? Don't be so naive."
"I don't believe she'll do this Will, I have no doubt that she will. You know her, you know how strong she truly is. I hope you are happy with what you've done here today. Tomorrrow she will walk into the Academy with her head held high but with a heavy heart because all she ever wanted from you was your love and support and now when she needs it the most you knock her down instead." Harry snapped and turned and walked out and to his sister.
"Pop." William began.
Charles shook his head and walked away.
William signed and turned and walked out.
"Are you okay?" Harry asked Mattie who was pacing her room like a caged animal.
She looked at him as tears rolled down her face. "At least now I know how he really feels."
"He's an ass."
"He's my brother." She said sadly.
Harry hugged her. "He is, but right now he's a ass. I know he hurt you, but I need you to pull yourself up and let it go so you can go in with a clear mind and heart."
She nodded as she hid her face in his shoulder and cried. "Really hurts Harry." She cried.
He frowned as he tightened his hold on her. "I know ittle sister. But all of that was fear, he's scared you'll get hurt."
She looked at him, "He doesn't believe in me Harry, it's more than fear."
"Listen to me Mattie. He will come around and he will be proud of you. I know he will. I also know that you will do so good in the Military, you won't just succeed you'll excel. Then when you do make Willie boy eat his own words."
"I love you Harry."
He smied."I love you too. You got this okay?"
She nodded as she whiped her face. "I do got this."
The next day found Harry, Eric and Mattie standing outside of the gates of the Academy ready to go in. Charles and Camilia as well as Eric's father and siblings were there to say their final goodbye to the three. William was not there. His absence spoke volumes to them. After the hugs the three walked into the gate, Mattie turned a last time and smiled at her father who smiled and nodded back before Mattie turned away and with her head held high she walked between her brother and her boyfriend to start the next chapter of her life. She was nervous, she'd be a fool not to be. But to look at her you would never now that she was a little scared and that her heart was hurt by her older brother.
"You got this." Harry whispered as they parted ways.
"We got this." she said back as her and Eric went to where the new recuits were and Harry went to his unit.
"I love you Mattie." Eric told her.
"I love you." She said back as now they split to go to the female and male dorms. She walked in strong and showed no fear as she went through the start of her Military career. A career that she would love and one that she will be wonderful in. She couldn't help but smile as she was issued her uniform and shown her bunk. She will fall in love with being a soldier and she could hardly wait to get start. Her only regret was how she left things with William. But one day she'll make him proud of her. For now she will do the best she can and learn all she can. Harry was right, she got this.