Chapter 8

Peter intended to go to homeroom, but he was so angry that he instead marched right out of school. He ended up at the public library where he sat in a corner and used the library's cassette player to listen to some classic rock. It reminded him of Tony whom, for the first time in a while, he genuinely missed. Peter wished his mentor would sit next to him and tell him that everything would be alright or even simply distract him from the storm he had accidentally created. Peter wanted nothing more than to go back to the summer where his sole focus was being the friendly neighborhood vigilante.

Eventually, Peter went home. When he got in, May scolded him for leaving school without telling her first. "Hun, it's okay if you're not feeling well, but you have to tell me so I can call you out, remember?"

A few hours later, he picked up his pre-paid phone. He hadn't been able to shake off his morning rant with Castine, and it got Peter thinking that maybe it wouldn't be so bad to seek out some help. Tony was smart: he would know what to do. Peter thought about texting Happy, but then decided to text his mentor directly. If the billionaire could call him directly, then that means they could text directly, too, right?

:: Hey it's Peter. Got time to catch up sometime? ::

After a pause, he quickly added to the text,

:: it's okay if you don't ::

He was about to send a third text, but he stopped when he heard a knock at the front door. Peter got up to inspect.

Just before he rounded the corner to see the doorway, he stopped to listen as May opened the door.

"Hello?" May greeted the unexpected visitor.

"Hi, are you May Parker?" A woman asked.

"Yes, that's me."

Then a man's voice informed May, "Hello, Mrs. Parker, my name is Brian, this is my partner Sandra, and we are from New York City's Administration of Child Services. We'd like to speak to you and the child in your custody, Peter Parker."

  --------------  

A/N: Hey, it's James! Thanks for reading this far, and extra thanks to everyone who has followed or voted for this story! It means a lot :)

I had an idea of where I wanted this story to go, but I started writing this chapter and thought of a second route. So, I decided to ask what you, the readers, are thinking.

>>Where do you think this story is going or should go?

>>Or, more specifically: do you think Peter will be taken away?

Your comments are much appreciated!