Chapter 13

After dinner, Tony sat on the smaller portion of his sectional, sipping a simple rum and Coke. To his left, Pepper's and May's laughter, spurned on by about two bottles of wine, was bringing tears to their eyes. Tony had lost the conversation a few minutes ago, but he was sure that they were laughing at nothing in particular.

May leaned back into the couch. She sighed, wiping a stray tear from her cheek. "Man, I don't think I've laughed this hard in months!"

There was a moment of silence before Pepper and May exchanged another look, and then their laughter continued for no reason at all.

Tony was grateful that May had clicked so well with Pepper. After trying his best to persuade her to take a night off, it was Pepper who finally convinced May to join them for dinner. Tony knew that she wanted to meet May anyway, but over dinner they learned more about Peter's aunt and began brainstorming more suitable employment options by means of their various connections. When they had agreed on a course of action for May's resume and applications, Tony called the waiter for a smooth red wine and the three loosened up quite quickly.

Now they were at his penthouse in the city, trying to forget about the problems that called for their attention. There wasn't much that they could do at this time of night anyway.

Tony looked over at the two women.

"‒anything you ask!" Pepper was explaining.

"Just say it out loud?" May asked between giggles. Pepper just nodded enthusiastically. May looked up at the ceiling and spoke hesitantly, "FRIDAY? Play Tony's Spotify music?"

May looked over at Pepper doubtfully before the program responded, "Of course, Mrs. Parker." When Billy Joel's "Only the Good Die Young" began playing, May screamed, "I love this song!" and burst into another fit of laughter as Pepper dragged her off of the couch and the two began dancing in the middle of the living room.

Tony was about to retreat to the kitchen when Pepper tapped him on the shoulder, saying, "You, too, Iron Man!" It was then that he laughed, too, and he rose to spin Pepper around on their makeshift, three-person dance floor.

----------

A few hours later, the trio resided on the couch once again with May curled up and asleep on the smaller portion. Pepper, who was laying on Tony with her head resting comfortably against his shoulder, absentmindedly traced circles on his chest. Some late-night sit-com was playing on the TV at a volume low enough that the sounds of the city were able to slip through the walls and fill the apartment. It was the peaceful time of night that existed only when most of the world lay sleeping.

Tony broke the intimate silence, whispering, "I think that was the happiest I've ever seen her."

"She works so hard for him, for Peter. She deserves a night off," Pepper whispered back. Then, noticing how his heart rate picked up, she stopped her hand movements to reach over and hold his right hand. She reassured him, "Everything'll be back to normal soon. Tomorrow I'm going to make some calls and see if anyone has an opening for a secretary or something. Then we just need to get child services back for an inspection. He'll be back home before you know it."

Tony sighed. "I still can't believe things got so bad."

"It's not your fault."

Just as Tony was about to continue berating himself, his phone rang, startling the two and stirring May.