Chapter 24

"So how did you come to work for the King?" I ask Matt sweetly as he plucks a rose out from the field of roses in front of us.

This castle never failed to surprise me and here I was standing in front of the field of red and white roses. They were majestic I thought.

Matt and I were taking a walk around the castle and later we had plans to go into town with Lila.

"Well my dad worked for the previous King and so did his dad and you kind of get the idea." He replied now studying the rose for any thorns.

"So you were born into it..." I nodded as I decided to pluck a white rose. "Ouch" I exclaimed when I pricked the skin on my finger.

Matt hurriedly grabbed my hand and inspected my tiny wound. Just then a smiling Lila came strolling in wearing a red cape. As soon as her eyes set on me and Matt, a worried expression took over her features.

"Oh Lord, are you okay Elise?" She ran over to me also inspecting my wound. Matt jumped in shock and automatically his eyes moved over to check Lila out. I could see his pupils growing bring and a slight blush taking over his cheeks.

"I am fine you guys." I giggled as I retrieved my hand back from them and that's when I glanced up at the window.

I gasped when my eyes met Stavros's reflection as he stared at me through the window with his arms crossed across his chest. It seemed like he was glaring at me with his dark eyes narrowed.

"Are you guys ready to head to town?" Matt asked breaking my train of thoughts and forcing me to look back at him.

"I am so ready!" Lila cheerfully screamed and I took time to look at her outfit smiling. She was so cute.

"Was that cape really necessary?" I teased Lila thinking back to our previous conversation. Lila told me that Matt adores the colour red.

"Yes it was." Lila twirled to show off once more.

"The carriage is waiting my ladies." Matt bowed to the both of us earning a chuckle from me and a slap on the back of his head from Lila.

"Ow what was that for!" He whined like an infant.

———

The journey to town took approximately thirty minutes. I was left with my mouth open when I observed the scene in front of me. The vibrant colour of fabrics and accessories stole my attention.

"Wow, this is just wow" I spoke while Lila smiled at me.

"This is the best part about Aberda. There are fine linens imported from all over the world which you wouldn't be able to find in any other towns." Lila explained and I nodded.

"The King has commanded that you must buy whatever you like as he owes you wages." Matt announced and I paused in my steps.

"What do you mean my wages? I am already being paid with food and shelter, even though I am not a maid anymore." I muttered the last part to myself as I looked over to Matt for an explanation.

"Did you already forget contessa? I once told you the King is quite generous." Matt affirmed as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"Right" I replied and was immediately pulled by Lila to some shop.

"Have fun and don't get lost!" I heard Matt scream at us as we dived into the crowd.