Chapter 26

Dear readers!

I have finally decided as to what era this book is set in.....1890s! I know a few of you are concerned about them eating Pizza or her wearing tank tops. When Elise went to Calabria in Italy, Pizza was newly invented. And for the clothing, it will remain as olden style like gowns etc and nightwear that elise wears are silk chemises. Please do point out what chapter tank top was mentioned so I can change it to a chemise <3

Next chapter will only be published upon reaching 40+ votes :) Come on guys!

Enjoy

---

I had fallen asleep and I did not even know for how long. The room was still as dark as before but I could night had fallen.

With a candle resting on an old book which I found on the floor, I advanced through the room. I still felt the need to be left alone for sometime and did not want to step outside so I figured I might as well explore this room and satisfy my curiosity.

Every time I would pass by this room I had a gut feeling to go in. Almost as if it was familiar to me. Every step forward felt natural to me.

My heart pounded as I found myself in front of an enormous painting. Carefully, I took off the giant dusty curtain draped over it. However, I froze upon hearing footsteps outside the room.

"Hey did you hear that?" Uttered one of the guards from outside.

"Your ears are ringing fella" The other guard laughed. Stavros had mostly human guards so they wouldn't be able to use vampiric hearing.

"One second, it was coming from here. Shshshs" The voice got closer.

My hands became cold and sweaty as I grew nervous. Even the heat from the burning candle I was holding was not aiding my temperature.

"Achuu" I sneezed.

"I swear I just heard someone sneeze! Stay here I will inform the King."

I panicked and looked around for a way out but then my eyes fell upon the painting I had just uncovered. I could hear the guards shouting in the background.

I felt somebody entering the room but my eyes stayed glued to the painting. I stood frozen.

I finally closed my eyes as a few tears escaped my eyes and I took a deep breath. This could not be a mere coincidence.

I could feel a heavy presence in the room and it could only mean the King himself is here. I have been caught lurking around in his territory. But everything will change now from what I have seen.

"Elise what you are seeing is not true." His voice slipped through the invisible wall I had just created and stood in for the past couple of minutes.

"No." I voiced.

"Lets get you back to your room." He softly grabbed my shoulders but I retracted harshly.

"You will tell me right now who that little girl is in the painting with that woman!" I stared at him in the eyes. I could see shades of red appear and I knew what was coming next. If this was the ordinary Elise then she would be scared of this monster but somehow everything has changed since I saw that painting. I am not that Elise anymore. And certainly not after he called me a slut and treated me like a maid when there is something more to this situation.

"Elise, you do not want to know." He stared down at me trying to conceal his anger as his jaw clenched. I knew this was a warning. But I ignored it.

"YES I DO!" I yelled as I pushed him hard on the chest and he stumbled back only slightly. His expression looked shocked as if he did not anticipate this side of me.