Leishe

Chapter 17: Leishe.

The sprawling town of Leishe could be seen below. Wind rippled through the thin, membraned wings that were spread out on either side of me. They threaded slowly through the air, maintaining our balance in the skies as we glided slowly over the town. A cool wind pushed at my back, a chill settling into my bones despite the warmth of Seren's body searing through my riding leathers and the thick furs I had heaped upon my shoulders.

My hair, though bound, was becoming undone and my irritation was sparking as I continuously had to draw dark blond hair away from my face.

A hand pressed into Seren's neck, my gloved fingers spreading wide on her dark scales. I could feel the muscles, even under the protection of those scales. A mighty power encased behind beautifully hued scales of dark blue and faint purple.

Her head turned slightly. A single, sharp and intelligent eye regarded me. The bond between us cracked open, a hum settling inside my mind. One that reminded me of fire and water, a clash of elements that worked so well for me.

"You look cold, Lilia."

Seren always preferred to talk mentally when we were in the air. Too often the air snatched her words and I could not hear. She never had a problem with hearing me, but my weaker senses were often a hindrance to a creature like her.

"I am not cold." I stated stubbornly.

Her tail swayed to the side, the fins lining its sides rippling as the air passed through them. "You are shaking like a leaf. Or a new born lamb. Or a little rabbit before a fox..."

"Fine, Seren. Enough with the insults. Do you see anything of note down there?"

Keen eyes surveyed the town again. With the cover of clouds, there was no chance that they would see us. Besides, they were not concerned with threats from the sky. They feared invaders. Thieves in the shadows, but not the woman and her dragon who hovered in the skies above.

"They should." I loosened a leg and turned in the saddle so that I sat with my legs hanging down one side. "You've grown longer in these last three months."

And broader too, though I didn't think she would appreciate that. Her growth spurts always seemed to come on suddenly. In the last three months, she had grown longer. Both from snout to tail-tip and her wing span. Hiding for her was getting harder, and now the 'rumours' of the Dragon Rider and the return of the dragons were growing.

It forced us to take a longer route to Leishe. We were eager to return to our home but Seren's safety was paramount.

Besides, Lord Adderlann had not forgotten us. His men still hunted us, and I had a score to settle from when he had locked me in that damned cell with the King's soldiers.

A snarl rumbled through Seren's entire body. "I will end that Lycan when I see him, though I do not particularly enjoy the smell of burnt fur."

Absently, I pressed a hand to the healed bite mark on my neck. Its effect on me was noticeable, though I tried to hide it from her. Pangs of utter longing would ring through me, strong enough that I would be distracted from what I was doing. Other times, I raged at how he could not control the beast inside of him.

That beast had forged a connection, damned if I had wanted it or not. Though, I had never asked for this soul-bound connection with Seren either and now I would fight to defend that with my life. My brothers didn't know.

Well, I had not told them, but I suspected that Sage already figured it out. Knowing that I had been unwittingly bitten by a Lycan who believed I was his moon-bound would have sent Ash and Red into a rage.