Not yet

Not yet.

Chapter Fifteen:  Not yet

Large, padded claws slipped awkwardly on the deluge of mud beneath her. She shifted slightly, digging into the earth deeper as long wings tucked into her side. Large, sharp eyes assessed the scene unfolding in front of her across the ravine and long ears picked up the sounds of grief. Always such a strange sound from the mouths of the two-legged.

Seren was silent in her descent, so her arrival had gone un-noticed by the people opposite her. A female held a sobbing male close, her words muffled by the thundering rain.

'Why bother crying in the rain?' She wondered.

She could scent the Lycan easily enough. There were enough of them in Anene to recognise that wildness, the smell of earth and forest interlaced in their blood. Next, there was a human male. Again, their weak blood was easy enough to scent. A female who smelled strange – strange enough to make Seren's nose tickle and then a male who smelled of both human and Fey.

But no Lilia.

A growl rasped in Seren's throat, her body bristling in frustration. The bond had opened for a moment, only a moment, and it had felt like Seren's world was illuminating as that brash, quick-witted human's emotions flashed into her mind for a moment. But there was no joke, but a single fleeting feeling of panic.

Seren had been gone in an instant, taking into the skies as the bond wired shut again. It had carried her over a lake where she had to climb high into the skies to avoid being spotted by the tiny towns-folk.

She felt Lilia again only once more. Another pulsating panic and that old need to flee; whenever Lilia wanted to run, Seren knew she was truly upset. Usually they went flying together and it always soothed her, but they were not together this time.

"Where are you, you foolish girl?" Seren lashed out to her through the silent connection between them.

There was no answer. Rivulets of water cascaded down Seren's blue-hued scales, and mud puddled around her splayed claws. Movement caught Seren's attention and she focused again on the strange, crying strangers opposite her. The male who was both human and fey was just standing there, staring at her.

Of course, he would.

Seren knew she was utterly beautiful. The most beautiful thing in Anene, and every day, she had to stay hidden for her own safety.

"Aden..." the stranger hissed. "Aden look."

Did they think she couldn't hear them? Seren shifted her weight as the mud beneath her began to give way. Why these two-leggeds stood beside the ravine was beyond her. At least she could fly.

The Lycan's head rose and Seren recognised the eyes of another predator. One she could burn, or maul. A singular Lycan was no match for a dragon.

Slowly all four turned to look at her. Vainly, Seren knew she should have left then, but the attention was flattering, and no one had given her a compliment in days. Plus, she never got to interact beyond her brothers and Lilia and the men were so morose sometimes. She loved them, but they were stingy with their compliments.

"Do you see the saddle?" the only female whispered.

Seren wondered if they were blind.

The Lycan only stared, a dull look in his eyes as he surveyed her. "I do."

"Do you think he came for us? That he knew we were looking for him?" The half-human, half-fey one asked.

A snarl rasped in Seren's throat. Idiots.