The Day It Rained

She woke up feeling cold. She looked at her watch and checked the time. It was already 7 AM, but the sky was still dark, making it all the more difficult to get up. She didn't have a class until after lunch, but she was going to meet some groupmates at Agno to finalize their report. They were supposed to meet at the learning commons at Henry Sy the other day, but her groupmates had prior commitments so she had to do some research alone. But someone came along and made her supposedly boring trip to the library a tad more interesting.

Her cheeks immediately flushed pink when she remembered how much of a gentleman he was. She buried her head on her pillow and let out a short but loud screech. She never imagined herself feeling this way for someone, but she did. She didn't know how to interpret it, more so she didn't know what to do about it. The butterflies in her stomach were something foreign to her. She reached for the 3 bands that she wore on her right hand and a smile immediately formed on her face.

"Oh, ang aga-aga pa gising ka na? Laki pa ng ngiti mo, anong meron?"

She turned the smile to a smirk and said, "Wow Ye, bawal na pala ngumiti ngayon?"

"Weh Ara, ikaw ba talaga 'yan? Kailan ka pa nagsimulang magising nang maaga ng hindi nakasimangot at nagsusungit?" Mika retorted to what Ara thought was a statement witty enough.

Ara just dismissed Mika with another smirk and walked to her closet.

"Ang daya mo naman eh, hindi ka na nagkukwento!" Mika said as she got up and headed out without failing to slap Ara playfully on the arm.

Ara actually thought about telling Mika about the feelings that were bothering her but making her smile. But she thought otherwise and just decided to tell Mika when she was already sure about her feelings. She chose a plain white shirt, maong shorts, and her trusty Vans, and headed to the shower. She took a quick bath, wore the clothes she picked earlier, and fixed her bag.

When she got down, some of her teammates who had early classes were already eating breakfast. She was immediately greeted by their ever caring team captain, "Ara, kain ka muna oh."

Ara politely declined, saying, "Hindi na Ate Aby, may immeet pa akong groupmates sa Agno eh dun na lang ako kakain."

"Maaga pa naman ah, kain ka muna." Aby insisted.

Ara just shook her head and smiled, "Ate naman masyado akong inaalala, hindi na ate. May dadaanan pa kasi akong book na naiwan ko sa locker ko sa Razon."

Aby just nodded. Ara gave her MotherF a warm hug before heading out. But before she got out she heard Mika shout, "Hoy yung utang mong kwento!"

She just continued walking and prentended not to hear Mika. She was avoiding having that conversation with her closest teammate because she knew that Mika would immediately notice if she was lying. She doesn't want to lie to her, so she decided that avoiding the conversation is the best way to go about it. The rain had stopped pouring so Ara decided to walk to school.

While she was walking to school, her phone vibrated in her pocket. It was a text from her brother reminding her to go home that weekend to celebrate their father's birthday. She replied to her brother telling him he shouldn't worry and she'd be there.

When she arrived at Razon, she immediately noticed the squeaking of rubber shoes as they glide on the taraflex floor, the loud bounce of the basketballs as they hit the floor, and the laughter and teasing of the Archers. They boys were in a scrimmage, playing shirts versus skins, and it was definitely a sight. She didn't mean to, but her eyes wandered off, looking for someone in particular. Then suddenly, her eyes stopped, locking in with someone's chinky pair. The owner of those eyes smiled at her, making her blood rush to her cheeks. She put her head down to hide the abrupt change in the color of her face, instead she blushed even more. Why? On her eyes' way down they saw, he was playing for team skins.

When she reached their locker room, she leaned on the wall and slowly dropped to the floor.

"Victonara, ano bang nangyayari sa'yo? Bakit nanghihina 'yang tuhod mo, umayos ka nga."

"Sabi mo hindi pwede, hindi ka pwedeng magkagusto hanggang makagraduate ka."

"Diba volleyball, studies, and family first?"

"Hindi tama 'yan, tsaka ano ka ba hindi mo maabot yung lalaking 'yun..."

After lecturing and composing herself, she opened her locker and got the book she left the last time they had training. Her phone vibrated again and it was a text from one of her groupmates asking where she was. She put the book in her bag and rushed to the elevator.

"Oh, going somewhere? Mukhang nagmamadali ka ata?"

It was Jeron. She tried ther best to hide her smile forming on her face. All she could muster up was, "Meeting with groupmates sa Agno."

"Ah, so matutuloy na kayo finally?" he asked, keeping the conversation alive.

She nodded and just in time to save her, the elevator sounded, signalling their arrival at the ground floor. She walked faster than him to save time and to hide the fact that she was actually blushing yet again. When she reached the door, she saw that the rain was pouring hard again.

"Shit, bakit kasi hindi ako nagdala ng payong."

She was running late, and it was really important for her to get to that meeting, so she decided to just run in the rain when someone grabbed her arm.

"Seryoso ka? You're going to run in the rain?"

She looked at him and saw concern in his eyes. She smiled at him, the most sincere she's given anyone ever, "Bakit hindi?"

"Baka magkasakit ka." he replied, still not letting go of her arm.

"Konting ulan lang naman eh." she retorted, trying to get her arm from his grasp.

"Bakit ang kulit mo?" he said, now annoyed at her persistence.

"Eh ikaw, bakit ang kulit mo?" she answered, raising her eyebrows at him.

When he didn't responded, she shook off his hand as started running. She hadn't gone far when he grabbed her arm again and pulled her closer to him.

"Ah, ako pa makulit?"

She stared at his eyes intently, it was raining around them, but he sheltered them from the rain with a yellow umbrella.

Author's Note:

Excuse grammar lapses and errors! Enjoy this chapter, guys! Intense kilig, I hope. :)