Chapter 214: Downtime

Chapter 214

Jax's Point of View

"Baby shark...do doo...do doo...do doo...baby shark..." Rae laughed as I sang the song Rowan showed told me was her favorite. I was lying on the couch with Rae sitting on my chest leaning back against my knees. "Mommy shark...do doo..." I tickled Rae's little tummy and memorized the smile on her sweet little face. She had dried cheese from the Mac and cheese we'd had for dinner crusted around her mouth but didn't have a care in the world. "Momma shark!" Rae growled, jumping on me. I winced, my ribs sore as fuck from earlier today, but I sucked it up.

Rowan noticed though. She got up and headed out of the living room. When she came back she had a glass of water and a white pill in her hand. "Here, take this for the pain. It's one of my left over pain killers."

I sat up and set Rae on the floor next to Abel and downed the pill. Rowan sat my glass down on the coffee table and stood in front of my legs. I stared up at her and rubbed my hands up the back of her thighs. She ran her fingers through my hair soothingly. "How does your head feel? You're not feeling nauseous or anything are you?"

"I'm fine, babe. You don't have to worry about me so much."

"I don't know how not to worry about you." Rowan shot me a look and sat down on the floor with Abel and Rae. I smirked at her. I slid down off the couch onto the floor next to her.

I leaned over and unexpectedly kissed her on the cheek. Rowan busted out laughing and wiped her cheek. "That was so slobbery." She laughed at me. I arched my eyebrow at her and then abruptly pushed her onto the floor and crawled on top of her, licking her cheek. "That was slobbery!" I chuckled, tickling her. Rowan giggled and tried her best to fight me off but it was no use.

"Pile on!" Abel yelled and then I felt him trying to climb on my back.

Gunner came charging in and rooted his nose under my arm to get to Rowan. "We're being attacked!" Rowan laughed so heartily. I covered both our heads protecting us from the invaders.

"Mama!" Abel laughed, following Gunners lead and tunneling under my arm.

"Get under here!" Rowan pulled Abel onto her chest and I chuckled, tickling him now. He laughed so hard. Rowan said I was gonna make him pee himself.

We spent the evening in the living room together doing absolutely nothing but playing around and just being a family together. It felt surreal to be doing something this normal after everything that happened today. I didn't want the kids to go to bed, but ten o'clock rolled around and Rowan had to pry them out of my arms and put them into bed.

Rae went down after one story. Abel was a little more stubborn. "One more!" He giggled and rolled around in his bed like a fish out of water. I glanced at Rowan sitting on the other side of the bed. "Is he on rocket fuel? Jesus. How is he still awake?" I chuckled. I put my hand on Abel's head. "Go to sleep."

"No!" He laughed again. "Another story."

"One more!" Rowan smiled, giving in to him. He had her wrapped around his finger and she didn't even know it. "Last one, bug, okay? Then you've gotta go to sleep." She leaned down and kissed his cute little button nose.

It took two more rounds of Corduroy before he eventually conked out for the night.

I led Rowan to bed by the hand. I stopped by the bed turning around to face her. The pain pill I'd taken had given me a nice warm feeling and taken away the brunt of the pain in my ribs. Rowan placed her hands on the sides of my neck. "You look high as fuck right now." She laughed, kissing me.