three

in honour of the downton abbey film trailer dropping - enjoy this chapter :))))

three

IT was strange not to see each other all in black. They were finally out of mourning and Sybil immediately went to dress into bright dresses of pink. Beatrix, returned to her usual blue dresses, hoping that now she would be able to move on, despite the feeling that her heart wasn't fully real in her chest. She had felt a similar way after her mother had died, and supposed that every time someone dear to a person died, a piece of their heart would be chipped away.

Beatrix had also returned to playing the piano - something she had stopped whilst in mourning. Her long brown hair tumbled neatly down her back, hanging in soft ringlets, whilst the front was tied together at the back. Cora smiled at her when she walked in the room and Beatrix supposed that she thought this was the first sign of healing, and perhaps it was.

One day, she decided to go into town along with Sybil. They walked down the streets until they came to a shop window, a typewriter standing on display. "This will be Patrick's gift for me," said Beatrix bittersweetly. "His final gift and his last goodbye."

Sybil smiled at her. "It's what he would have wanted."

Squeezing her cousin's hand slightly, the two went into the shop and left with a large box in Beatrix's arms. Once they had returned back at Downton, Beatrix set it up on her desk and sat down. Stretching her hands and taking a steadying breath, she began to type.

In her room was where she spent most of her time now, sitting at her desk looking out across the gardens. The sound of typing loud and echoing down the corridor. Beatrix was left alone most of the time, joining her family for dinner but breakfast and luncheon were brought up to her room. Time was just a concept to her, it was meaningless. After what seemed like mere hours to her - but what actually had been weeks, Beatrix had finished her short story. Sighing heavily, she stared at the pile of paper in front of her. Unable to keep the smile off her face she picked out a ribbon from her drawer and carefully tied it around the pile.

"I've done it," she murmured. "I've actually done it."

Beatrix suddenly jumped as the door opened behind her. Jane stood in the doorway. "Good morning, my Lady," she said softly. "Did you sleep well?"

Beatrix spun around to her. "I've done it, Jane," she beamed. "I've done it."

"You mean..." she began, her eyes wandering over to the desk and the pile of paper. She looked back at her. "You finished it?"

"I finished it," she nodded. "I've finished my first short story."

Jane put her hands over her mouth in pride. "My goodness! My Lady! That's incredible. Will you tell your aunt and uncle?"

Beatrix nodded. "At dinner." She then looked down nervously. "What I said months ago, about you reading it over, I really do mean it. It would mean the world to me if you could read it and tell me your thoughts. I honestly can't think of a better person."

"Oh, my Lady-"

"You don't have to if you don't want to, of course, but-"

Jane took her hands in hers. "I would love to."

"Thank you, Jane," Beatrix smiles gratefully.