five

five

DRESSED in her nightgown, Jane entered her room where Gwen was already in her bed, reading a letter. Jane eyed it despite Gwen's tries to be discreet. "What have you got there?" She asked as she settled onto her own bed, pulling out the pile of paper from her bedside drawer that she had promised to read. She was half way through it now and she was enjoying it immensely. Beatrix has talent. There were obviously some errors, some sentences not worded correctly and such, but that was to be expected.

"Nothing," said Gwen.

She raised her eyebrow at her. "What kind of nothing?" She smiled. "You haven't got an admirer?"

Gwen giggled, her face blushing. "I might have," she said. "Why shouldn't I?"

"Don't tell Mrs Hughes," she chuckled. "She'll bring the vicar round to have you exorcised."

"How are we supposed to find husbands if we're never allowed to see any men?"

"Perhaps she thinks the stork brings them," Anna teased as she entered the room.

Gwen looked over at the pile. "You still reading that for Lady Beatrix?"

Jane nodded. "I should finish it by the end of the week."

"When she wasn't coming out of her room much, we all thought she was getting ill," said Gwen.

The two other girls laughed quietly at her comment and they all climbed under their covers. "Eh, Lady Mary's in for a surprise," said Anna.

The other two leaned on their shoulders, looking at her curiously. "What do you mean?" Asked Jane, putting the novel to the side.

"Thomas was in the library when old Violet came in from the garden. Seems, they want to fix her up with Mr Crawley - Matthew, not the other one."

"Well, that makes sense," nodded Gwen. "She was gonna marry Mr Patrick."

"Would she have, though, when it came to it?" Wondered Anna, raising her eyebrows. "That's the question."

Jane lay down on her back in thought as Anna blew out the candle. Marriage - would that ever be in her future? As Gwen said, how were they supposed to meet any men? It would have been much easier in London with all the goings out, but here in Downton, it was difficult to meet new people. Her mind then began to wonder... What about Beatrix? She knew marriage is what was intended for her, but would she be able to go through with it? Never had she spoken about any interest in a man or boy in her life - and Jane would know. Beatrix told her everything and they'd been together for a long time now. Would it be arranged like it was for Mary and Patrick - or now it would seem, Mary and Matthew? She hoped it wouldn't be.

Jane liked Frank, Beatrix's friend from London, but she knew that Beatrix did not see him in that way, only as a friend. Her thoughts were confirmed the next day when she helped Beatrix dress for her day out in London. She was to see Frank once more. "It must be nice to see him again," said Jane.

"Yes," Beatrix replied, "he's like a brother to me. It would be strange if I didn't see him at all."

There was an excitement in Beatrix's light brown eyes as she tidied her hair in the mirror before putting a beret on it. "I should be back for dinner, I shouldn't be any later than that," she said.

Jane nodded and left the room. Beatrix smiled, her feet almost bouncing from excitement. She was going to meet Abigail Smithers. Finally. Frank had arranged with the woman to come round his for some lunch and she was to join them. A social meeting.

Checking her watch on her wrist, she left her room, her cardigan wrapped around her. Her heels clicked on the stairs as she hurried down, waving goodbye to Robert as they passed. "Be safe," he called out after her.