Chapter 7(B)

She slowly walked towards him.. hold him by his shoulders from the side..

His head spinned and he started falling down.. Naira held him tightly..

He sat down on the ground with a thud.. Naira tried to control him..

Tears started coming out of his eyes.. uncontrollable tears..

Kartik : Nahi aisa nahi ho sakta.. she can't just leave me like that.. no !! She can't.. (looking at Naira) do you understand.. she just can't!!

His parents arrived at the spot and saw that vulnerable Kartik.. they heard him saying and interpreted what had happened..

They peeped inside the ICU and get to know from the nurse that she's no more..

Kartik kept on crying holding on to Naira sitting on the ground without even looking at his parents..

His dad got enraged and pulled him up from Naira's hold leaving Naira shocked..

Manish : Nahi sambhaal paaye na Maa ko.. nahi sambhaal paaye na.. main kahta raha ki aa jaao US maa ko lekar par nahi tumhe to apne dil ki karni thi.. aaj tumhari vajah se Maa.. Maa.. (he couldn't say more because he got emotional)

Kartik fumed in anger listening to him and he shouted..

Kartik : Shut up!! Just shut up dad!! Aapne khud kitna khayal rakha hai pata hai mujhe.. US jaake settle ho gaye.. ekbaar kabhi dekhne bhi nahi aate they..

Naira and Swarna controlled them before the blame-game goes too far..

Some more of their family members arrived at the spot.. their breakdowns were breaking Naira's heart into pieces.. she couldn't understand what to do.. she has never faced a situation like this before.. she just knew one thing.. though Kartik's family members were here she can't leave him because he doesn't seem to have good terms with anybody in the family..

She stayed there with him till the next morning for all the hospital procedures.. she saw Kartik not crying anymore.. he was just lost somewhere.. his pale face was breaking Naira's heart more and more.. she understood he needs to cry but couldn't found a way out..

After few days everything was coming back to normal..

Kartik still haven't cried his heart out.. because before this day his Dadi was the only shoulder to cry on whatever may happen.. but now when that person is no more.. to whom will he go and cry onto??

He was lying on his bed like a lifeless soul.. he remembered something.. took his phone.. and dialed Naira's number..

Naira picked it up instantly..

Naira : Hello.. hello Kartik..

Kartik : Hmm..

Naira : Kartik tum thik to ho na.. maine tumhe kitne phone kiye.. kitne messages kiye.. mujhe kitni tension ho rahi thi tumhe pata hai.. I know tum busy hoge woh sab kaam mein but tum thik to ho na.. dekho Kartik jo bhi hua..

She tried consoling him but she was cut off in the middle by him..

Kartik : Naira I need to meet you..

Naira : What!! Aah !! Yeah yeah sure.. meet me.. I mean main aau tumhare ghar??

Kartik : Nahi.. mere ghar mein abhi relatives hai.. aur jab tak yeh yahan pe hai mujhe apne hi ghar mein suffocating lagta hai.. agar koi problem na ho to kya main tumhare ghar aa sakta hu..

Naira : Haan Kartik.. bilkul.. aao na.. tumhe main address bhejti hu..

He reached her home within half-an-hour..

Akshara opened the door..

Akshara : Ji..??

Kartik : Main woh Kartik.. Naira se..

Akshara : Oh.. Kartik.. aao aao.. Naira.. Bata rahi thi tumhare baare mein..

Naira came out from her room..

Akshara : (to Kartik) Beta baitho na yahan pe.. accha nahi tumhe Naira see bat karni hai na..(to Naira) jaao Naira use upar leje jaao..

Naira : Kartik yeh mumma.. unhe Maine bataya hai sab..

He nodded his head..

They went upstairs..

They sat down on the edge of the bed facing each other..

Kartik : Umm.. Naira.. thank you and sorry..

Naira : Umm.. kis liye??

Kartik : Thank you for being there with me that whole day.. for taking care of me.. and sorry for I just came here suddenly.. bass kaha aur aa gaya.. matlab.. achanak..

Naira : Kya bol rahe ho Kartik.. tum yahan kabhi bhi aa sakte ho.. aur woh mera farz tha tumhare saath rahna ussdin.. par phir bhi kya fayda hua.. main to tumhara dukh share bhi nahi kar payi..

He smiled palely..

Kartik : Issmeim tum kar bhi kya sakti thi..

After an awkward pause Kartik said..

Kartik : I was born here in India.. par papa ke business ke chalte we had to shift in US when I was some 10 years old.. but after 2 years I and my dadi came back.. my dadi started missing India.. woh chahti thi mujhe apne paas rakhna since my parents can't be here.. main bachpan se hi yahan hu Dadi ke saath.. wohlog zyada aaye bhi nahi.. sirf saal mein ekbaar maybe.. I have never been attached to them .. I know it's not their fault.. bass it's just that main Dadi ko chorna nahi chahta tha so I stayed here.. unke bina mera koi nahi hai.. papa mumma ko mere life ke baarein mein kuch bhi nahi pata.. Aur attachment itni Kam hai ki mujhe unse baat bhi karna accha nahi lagta.. whenever I talk to them it seems like I m talking to some stranger..
(After a pause)
That's why that day I was so rude with them and I shouted.. mujhe nahi pata why I m sharing all this with you.. yeh sab maine kabhi kisi ko nahi Bataya.. par mujhe aaj bass kisi ko batana tha and idk why felt that connection with you..

She was smiling with tears in her eyes.. she came closer to Kartik.. and kept her hands on his shoulder.. he looked at him.. and she gestured her to smile.. he obeyed..

Just then Akshara came at the door and saw them like that.. she smiled seeing the bond.. she came inside..

Akshara : Beta..

He looked up.. trying to hide his tears..

Akshara kept her hand on his cheeks..

Akshara : Kisse aansu chupa rahe ho.. Maa se??

Listening to the word Maa his eyes widened with a spark.. he suddenly hugged her.. tightly.. as if all his emotions.. and she reciprocated it..

A laughter of satisfaction left Naira's mouth..

--------------

Those were the days when they started coming closer.. and he found his best and true friend.. his dadi left him not before making him meet his lifeline, his Naira.. he understood her importance the day his grandma was in hospital.. he remembers how she took care of him..
Slowly he became close to Akshara too.. and started bonding like never before..

Kaira's bond grew and only grew over these two years..
And now they are inseparable..

Kaira slept thinking of these days.. he on her lap.. and she keeping her head on the back of the bed..

-----------------------------------------------------

Do give your reviews..

--Adhira