Arrival

"Everything will be okay. I promise." The same words had spun around in my head endlessly in the past few months, even permeating my dreams with a, sometimes desperate, sometimes soothing cry. "Velvet? Are you awake?" A voice roused me from sleep. I opened my eyes to see Coco shaking me awake. "Hey." She smiled coolly, "You ready to go?" She asked. "Huh?" I slowly sat up and rubbed the sleep from my eyes. "Oh shoot! Sorry Coco, I completely forgot!" I exclaimed. Coco was going to help me shop for clothing today, I had "no sense of fashion" as Coco put it. But she agreed to help me pick out some clothes. "What time is it?" I asked. "It's only 9:30, we have plenty of time. And besides, we don't have class today." Replied Coco. I quickly got up regardless. I was ready in 10 minutes flat. "I told you we have plenty of time!" Coco chuckled, "No rush!" I simply shrugged, "Better that we get going earlier rather than later." Coco only nodded in agreement. "Let's go." She said, putting on her beret and sunglasses. I grabbed my scroll and wallet as I followed her out the door. We walked down the halls and past the dorms, out into the courtyard of Beacon. The campus was beautiful. Fall was in full swing and winter was fast approaching, there was a definite chill in the air. I put my arms together and grumbled, Do you think that they make sweaters for Faunus?" I asked. "We'll have to see." Replied Coco. "But don't you worry Velvs, I know what you need and just the place to go." She smiled. We boarded a nearby bullhead and headed for Vale. The flight to Vale was uneventful, the crisp autumn air was cool and refreshing, the view was beautiful, the trees were a gorgeous orange-yellow hue, I grabbed my camera and snapped a picture. "Snap any pictures of anything good?" Asked Coco. "Just the forest." I replied. "Beautiful colors." She said, "You're really coming along with your photography, Velvet. I'm proud of you." "R-really?" I blushed. Coco laughed, "Of course! You are amazing! I'm sure you could do anything. Literally!" Coco smiled. "Mimicry helps." I muttered. I looked down at the forest below us. "I bet you could model too! If you do that, you'll have half the boys in Beacon after you!" I let out a small sigh, but said nothing. I stared quietly into the Emerald Forest. "Velvs?" Asked Coco, "You alright?" "Fine." I responded. I wasn't fine. My semblance allowed me to copy nearly every form of weapon and combat, but socially, I was still shy and awkward, and constantly picked on for being a Faunus, and that wasn't something that my semblance was going to solve. "Velvet?" "Huh?" "What's wrong? Talk to me." It wasn't just being awkward, it wasn't just the bullying either. I sat down at the edge of the Bullhead and sighed, "It was something Cardin said yesterday." "What did he say?" Coco demanded, I could see her anger bubbling, barely contained just beneath the surface. "He said that no one would ever love someone like me." I looked up to see Coco's face turn red with anger and disgust. "That bastard..." She began. She shook her head and turned to me, "I'm so sorry Velvet. You know that can't be true." She sat down next to me and gently padded me on the back. I hated Cardin Winchester, I hated how he and all his stupid jerk friends always picked on me. Coco was probably one of my best friends in all of Remnant. "You will find some one who loves you. I prom-" She stopped mid-sentence. I looked to see what was wrong. She simply stared straight ahead in shock. "What are you-" I followed her gaze. Then I saw it, an entire town had been reduced to rubble, blasted to pieces by Remnant's most recent threat, an extra-terrestrial invasion. I shuddered, "Do you think the 'aliens' hate Faunus?" I asked. Coco looked at me with concern, "No," She stated after several moments of silence, "Professor Goodwitch said that the Vale Treaty protected all Faunus, excluding those in the White Fang. She was there when it was signed." "Are you sure?" I asked. "I promise, no matter what happens, as your team leader, will protect you. I promise." She wrapped her arm around me and pulled me into a tight hug. Tears began to well up in my eyes "Thanks Coco." I replied. "Of course." We rode the rest of the way to Vale in silence.

" We rode the rest of the way to Vale in silence