Fleur's Wedding and a Funeral

The next few days were some of the most strained Harry had ever experienced. He and Hermione would go to the Burrow straight after breakfast and not leave until late into the night. Each visit was like a carbon copy of the last; long, sombre silences where few words were spoken, visits by relatives and well-wishers come to pay their respects, awkward conversations and a lot of tears.

It was during these days that Harry came to realise just how much he appreciated Hermione, feeling more attached to her with each visit, something he hadn't had thought possible prior to this. They were together in their feelings, both considering themselves separate from the grief of the Weasley's and clinging close to each other in response to this. They would sit side by side around the Weasley's fireplace as the family recounted stories of Charlie and vaunted his virtues, an exercise Harry couldn't understand as it just led to one or more members of the family breaking down with the pain of it all.

The only part Harry could attribute anything positive to was that he could put his arm around Hermione or hold her hand and it would seem like they were just comforting each other. His sentiment here was, he accepted, selfish but he had his own emotional investment to be concerned with. Besides, with each tale of Charlie, Harry couldn't help but think back to Hermione's words and replace Charlie with her. He tried hard to not imagine similar scenes with Hermione as the victim, but she had crept so surreptitiously close to his heart that he couldn't help it. The thought of sharing stories about her life and mourning her death struck Harry so far to the core that he thought he was experiencing a sense of theoretical loss close to the actual grief the Weasley family were enduring.

After a couple of days of constant visits to the Burrow, Ron actually started talking to Hermione with a creditable degree of civility. Harry felt a sense of gratitude towards him that he was taking considerable pains to bridge the gulf that was threatening to open up between them. Hermione received his efforts with somewhat guarded gratuity herself, as if she suspected they were false. Harry thought she was being a little harsh and told her so.

'And don't think I'm taking his side, because I'm not,' he added to her. 'I just think he is honestly trying. Don't you think he deserves a chance?'

'He doesn't deserve one, no,' Hermione replied. 'Not after the way he spoke to me. But I am giving him a chance. It's a last chance, though. If he upsets me again, that's it. We're finished. Then you have to choose.'

'Choose what?'

'Between me and Ron,' said Hermione simply.

'Well,' said Harry thoughtfully. 'I think I'd have to go with you. Ron doesn't shave very well and his stubble might tickle if I kiss him. Then again, your stubble tickles me sometimes. Yeah – I think it'd better be you.'

'Oi!' said Hermione as she made for Harry's ribs. 'I'll give you tickling!'

'Is that a promise?' said Harry in his best impersonation of a sultry voice.

'Maybe later, if you're lucky,' said Hermione as she turned back to collecting dishes from the dresser. It was nearly dark at the Burrow and Hermione and volunteered her and Harry to make dinner for the family, as Mrs Weasley seemed so fatigued. Harry had a sneaking suspicion that Hermione had a dual motivation for offering to cook and getting Harry alone was the chief priority. If they made food in the meantime it was just a bonus.

'I'm serious about Ron, though,' said Harry, adding cutlery to Hermione's plate laying. 'Everyone deserves a chance to redeem themselves. If we don't forgive we become as bad as those black hearted scum we're trying to fight.'

'I didn't know they taught philosophy at Hogwarts,' said Hermione sardonically. 'I'll have to complain to McGonagall about not offering it to me.'

'You're funny,' said Harry. 'You should be on the stage. I think there's one leaving soon!'