What is Love?

She looked at me, lost and confused. "What do you mean I don't love you? How could you say that?"

I sighed and tugged at the ends of my hair. "I, I think you love the idea of me. I'm not... We haven't even spent enough time together to really know each other. How can that be love?"

"It just is. I know I love you." She pleaded with me, begging me to understand. And I did, but not the way she wanted me to.

"What do you think love is? Because following me on social media and claiming you understand is not the same as love." Another sigh escaped as she opened her mouth to answer. "Let me tell you what I think it is." Her mouth snapped shut with an audible click. She stared as if I was going to give her the answer to life. I guess in a way I was, to her at least.

"Love is the soft stares, and light blushes. The tangled fingers and first kisses. Late night movies and breakfast dates.

Hot moments stolen between the sheets as an act of possession, to leave a mark no matter how small on your partner.

The fights that can make or break you. The tears shed into pillows, throat sore from harsh words and loud tones.

Love is the understanding, the making up, the talking it over. And sometimes it's the breaking up and moving on.

Other times it's the messy blankets left behind in the morning. Quick kisses before the other leaves. Familiar caresses between knuckles.

Love to me is light and sweet, burning and passionate, painful and taxing, long-suffering and patient, content and quiet.

So what does love mean to you?"