Cracks to Heaven

He watched as another star escaped. One more to join the others on the ceiling. Their soft tinkling served as the perfect background to her otherworldly voice.

"Today was worse, wasn't it?" He asked softly, as if his words would break the ethereal sounds.

She looked up, her eyes each a galaxy of their own between the ever changing blue and purple swirls. Freckles dotted her cheeks to match the constellations in the sky.

"Mhm. Our universe is still growing you know. Apparently it's faster than my body can keep up with." Her lips moved the smallest amount possible so as to not disturb the rest of her face.

It was futile though as he followed another star heavenward. "I wish I could help," he whispered, a hand lifted next to her face but not touching. Never touching.

She shrugged even as she shifted away from the heat emanating from his hand. "It's my curse to bare. It always has been. It always will be." Her eyes dropped back to her lap as she tucked silver starlight hair behind her ear. "I just need to be strong enough to become an adult. Then I won't crack."

He sighed as the galaxies in her eyes grew stormy with fear and determination. Yellow and green streaked through the blue as a sign of her emotions. A steam of stars escaped this time as a comet flashed beneath her skin.

The universe, held with in one tiny girl to small to hold on. He finally nodded, even as his eyes traced the cracks fracturing her face like broken glass. "Of course. Only until then."