Chapter 7

I woke up the next morning, and for a moment forgot all about the dramas of the previous night. It was only when I saw I was still in Isabel's old dress that I remembered. Harvey was dead!

I bit my lip. I nearly had been, too.

Slowly, carefully, I took off my tight black shoes, wincing as the circulation came back into my feet. Sleeping in shoes was definitely something I would not be doing again. I let down my hair, and got the strange fuzzy feeling you always get in your head when you've had your hair in a high bun for a long time. I got out of Isabel's dress, and put my old cream one on, with the red roses. I really couldn't wear something stylish that day. I put on my comfy brown shoes, and debated on throwing my black shoes out. No. Not just yet.

I made my way to the door, and was about to turn the handle when I remembered. Harvey was dead, so I was going to have to wear black again. Drat. I put my longer black dress on, so nobody could see my brown shoes, and trudged dozily out of my room, only just remembering to put my hair up as I reached the top of the stairs. Really, I was feeling very, very stupid that morning, I grumbled, as I went back to my room and put my hair into a low bun. Trying my hardest to wake myself up a little, I finally made it down the stairs, and into the dining room.

"Miss Winter, you don't look well" Mrs. Ellis commented. She, Newham, and Mr. Ellis were all sitting at the table, finishing their breakfast.

"I'm fine. Just…tired" I mumbled, sitting down not too gracefully at the table.

"You could try some coffee to wake you up" Mr. Ellis offered, quickly pouring me a cup. I dozily raised it to my lips and took a sip. It gave me a swift mental prod, and I opened my eyes a little wider.

"That truly is disgusting."

Everyone laughed, and I smiled, shook my head, and pushed the coffee cup away. Feeling a little more awake, I helped myself to breakfast as Newham made me a cup of tea. The tea helped most, I think, and I was almost up to speed by the time I finished breakfast. The Ellises had both gone, and it was just me and Newham at the table.

"Alianna, you'd better wake yourself up soon, as we're supposed to be meeting Barnes and Fisher at the White Pony today, at about one" Newham muttered.

"One o'clock. Right. " I murmured. "What time…"

"Ten thirty."

"Have I really been asleep that long?" I asked, amazed. Newham laughed.

"You had a serious shock last night. Nobody can blame you for lying in."

"Alright. I'm going to have a quiet morning. I'll see you then."

With that, I stood up, nearly knocking over the coffee pot, and went to sit in the living room, watching the gardeners gardening, and trying to bring back as much of last night's events as possible. Unfortunately, it was impossible. I stood up, and wandered aimlessly over to the bookcase, running my finger along the books, and collecting a rather large amount of dust as I did so.