Chapter 9

"Is anyone here yet?" I asked, for the umpteenth time, as I hurried down the stairs.

"No" the doctor sighed again.

"Alice? Any sign?" I yelled down to the kitchen.

"They've just disappeared, Miss Allie!" Alice called back from the laundry.

"I thought they would have" I smiled.

"Do yer know where they are?" Alice asked.

"I can take a guess" I said slowly. "Although I don't actually know."

"I thought you knew everything" the doctor remarked placidly.

"I do" I replied. "This, however, is proof. There's a difference."

"Barnes is here" the doctor reported. I hurried to open the door.

"Have you really got it?" Barnes asked excitedly, as he strode through the door.

"I believe so" I replied, as we went to the sitting room to wait.

"Do you have any proof?"

"Some" I replied, a little uncertainly. Barnes tutted.

"You'd better hope it pays off."

"I hope it does too" I agreed.

"They're coming" the doctor called from the hall. Barnes wished me good luck, before heading out back into the hall, where Fisher was standing. The doctor came in, and we sat down, I in the chair by the fire and he by the sofa.

"Are you sure about this, Miss Winter?" the doctor asked.

"Yes" I said, taking a deep breath, as I heard the front door opening, and Lady Morris's angry voice.

"What is the meaning of this?"

"My apologies, ma'am but the case has been solved, and I would be most obliged if you would wait in the sitting room" Barnes snapped back. Lady Morris strode in, followed by everyone else, and I felt a jangle of nerves. I had proof. I had proof.

"This is highly inappropriate, Chief Inspector!" Lady Morris was still complaining.

"My apologies, ma'am" I said, standing up as everyone sat down. "It's me you should be complaining to. I solved the case today at the funeral, and I intend to tell everyone about what really happened on Saturday here, now. Unless anyone has any problems with that?" I asked craftily. That last comment hadn't really been necessary, but I intended to make everyone squirm.

"I think telling us now would be the best option" Barnes advised.

"I think so, too" I smiled. "I mean, the only reason that Harvey was killed was because he knew too much."

That caused a ripple of uncertainty around the room. I settled them down.

"The events over the last couple of days are like a ball of knitting wool, left in a sewing bag for too long. A huge, complicated mess, but a mess that is all carefully interlinked" I began.

"So Harvey's death was linked with the death of Lord Morris?" Mr. Ellis asked.

"Exactly" I smiled. " But let's start from the beginning. You see, the reason that Lord Morris had to die was very similar to a plot in a book I'm reading. He didn't not do it."

"Didn't not do what?" Knight asked.

"Miss Winter, you're not making sense" the doctor sighed.

"Give me a minute" I said. "You see, there was someone in this house who wanted Lord Morris to change his will. They wanted more of his estate and money. Saturday was when Lord Morris finally gave in. He wrote a new will, on that Saturday afternoon, which left Harvey out and gave his share to our murderer, and got Mr. Knight and Alice to sign for it, am I right?"