6.2

The morning sun rose to greet Roan.

It shun through his open window and warmed his already feverish skin as he did pushups on his bed room floor. He was slightly startled by it and realized suddenly that he had been awake for more than three hours. Sleep was not kind to him and refused to hold him in her arms for more than a few hours. He had grown restless, trying and failing to sleep some more.

Roan laid on the floor a while; tired and sweating. The morning sun was comforting and familiar even though it was many degrees cooler than he was used to. His dessert home was either scolding hot or frightfully cold. There was no in between.

A soft knock sounded and he shifted his attention to the door.

"Your, Majesty? Are you awake?" A tilting voice asked, muffled by the door.

Roan sighed at the title and got off the floor, "I'm awake. You're welcome to come in."

He reached for his discarded shirt and wiped his face and neck as two maids entered his chambers. They were both dressed in white robes with their dark tresses pulled high atop their heads. The robes were not tight but they certainly were not loose and with a little imagination, they were each appealing.

"Majesty, my name is Aria. Henna and I will be your maids for the duration of your stay," Aria's voice shook slightly and she didn't dare look at him.

Neither women looked at him, opting to look at the floor. It was an act of submission that annoyed him greatly. Not looking at him was considered respectful. As if they were unworthy to be in his presence. Just because he was of royal blood didn't mean he was any better than others. He was just another human.

His mother would have argued that being better than others is exactly what "being royal" meant.

Aria, fair skinned and brown eyed, was carrying a tray of food fit for a king. The tray was stocked with fruits, whine, apple pie, tarts and sandwiches.

That was more than he had indulged in this past week. He was on vacation from royal life and wanted to live a little less luxurious.

Henna carried towels and a pitcher with which to fill his tub. She was slightly curvier than Aria and had a dark completion with unusually blue eyes.

Roan nodded slightly and gestured for them to carry on.

Aria quickly set his tray down on a small table nearby. The room was large enough to allow for a bathing area, a bedroom area and an area for entertaining visitors for breakfast. Aria exited the room briefly, as Henna fetched the water for his bath. She returned with his satchel, and a large bag that held his clothes. She set them next to his bed and helped Henna fill his bath and lay soaps for him to chose from.

Roan watched them work silently. He was struggling with his nature and upbringing. Apart of him had wanted to fetch the water himself and carry his own bag while another part of him reminded him that this was their job.

He glanced at his breakfast and smiled at a sudden thought. He took two empty plates and set them at the table. He cut one of the two slices of apple pie in half and set one on each plate. He added a sandwich and a tart to each plate and scowled as he realized there was only one glass for the whine.

"Aria, Henna. When you are finished setting up, I'd like you to take a break and eat what I have set for you," his voice was husky and low as he spoke. He had not spoken all morning and he cleared his throat as they started to protest, "You serve me for the duration of my stay and you have no choice but to obey."

Aria glanced at Henna, uncertain, "Highness, forgive us but your request is unusual and...--"

"What she means to say is that, as unusual as your request is, we respectfully decline. We've had breakfast and the kindness that you offer rarely comes without a price," Henna's statement was underlined with malice and she had instinctively taken a step forward to hide Aria behind her.

Roan was not surprised and his expression darkened, "Not all royals are as cruel as that. But I understand. I understand all too well." He walked towards his bath, "I will not force kindness upon you if you are suspicious of my intentions. However; I wish to treat you as decent human beings while I am here. So expect that I will not harm you in any way." He positioned a screen in front of his bath and stripped his clothes.

The water was welcoming and the soaps were lightly scented, much to his delight. He didn't wish to walk around smelling like a woman. He spent nearly an hour in the bath, soaking his tense muscles and relaxing. He was undoubtedly clean as he climbed out of the tub and dried himself with a towel. He tugged on his usual attire of tight black trousers, white peasant shirt and a black vest that the maids had hung on the screen during his bath.

He stepped away from the screen and smiled as he spotted Aria and Henna finishing the breakfast he had left for them. The sight made him feel like a true prince. Kindness came easy to him, as easy as killing came to him.

He acknowledged himself as a walking contradiction; hard and callous in battle but kind and giving to those who deserved it.

His uncle had told him that a true leader acts appropriately to each situation. Suspicious where needed, firm where needed and kind where needed. He had said that one should be kind to those that serve him faithfully, because those who are treated fairly are most likely to be the most loyal.

Roan lived by his uncle's words and teachings. His brothers didn't share the same sentiment and he scowled as he remembered exactly why he had taken a three week vacation.