7

One death.

That was all it took to confirm our suspicions.

A young servant girl, a volunteer, had dropped dead that morning minutes after taste testing Amelia's breakfast. The poor, brave soul had traded her life for her Queen and her death sent the Royal Council into panic.

Amelia had put on a convincing front and was seated calmly at the head of the table while the members of her council panicked.

Dastian was frowning terribly at the other end of the table but said nothing. Dorian, David and I stood behind Amelia, watching him closely. Roan was standing to the far left of the room watching the commotion from afar.

"Gentlemen, panic gets nothing done. I must ask you all to compose yourselves," Amelia's voice was firm and cold as she chastised their behavior.

Her tone was well within her right but it did not sit well with some. Her father had ruled before her and quite a few of the Council were opposed to a matriarchy.

"Your Majesty, if someone has managed to infiltrate our kitchens that is a right and just reason to panic. Your assassin is lurking in the shadows of the castle. Nowhere is safe," General Eros' statement was followed by many nods and murmurs of agreement.

"You are right. Nowhere is safe. But that does not apply to me, General. This assassin is in my castle. In my home. In my fortress," Amelia's voice took on a dark tone. It was hard and menacing. She looked every bit the Queen she was bred to be.

The council members looked tensely at each other.

"The assassin is the one that isn't safe. I've already ordered Lieutenant Hendrix to triple the guards at every entrance and exit and have two guards patrolling each hall at all times. No one is allowed out of this castle without permission from a superior and no one is allowed in without clearance from Captain Garret or Lieutenant Hendrix," she paused for a reaction. No one spoke. "I have also asked my brothers and Dastian to lead the search for this...assassin," Amelia smiled in satisfaction as the council members begrudgingly nodded and murmured their approval of her strategy.

I heard a soft click as the door to the council chambers opened and Angelica appeared.

"Yes, sister?"

"The Head Alchemist said the poison was a rather rare one. It hasn't been named but they say it's from the mountain kingdom, Sharda," Angelica's announcement was met with silence and all eyes were on Dastian.
********

A/N: so sorry that this isn't as long as my previous chapters. I'm struggling with writer's block and assignments and studying so this chapter was a... struggle. I'll absolutely try to get out of this funk. But till then, my apologies.