Prologue: Singularity

Tip. Tip. Tip.

The sound of leaking water is jarring, and it jerks the bound queen out of a dreamless and fitful sleep. Gasping for air, she swivels her head around in confusion until she remembers who she is.

Where she is.

By the emptiness crawling through her skin, through her very being, the queen arrives at the conclusion that she is alone. For now. No sign of her captors, of the wicked power wielded by them to subdue her magic, to induce horrible visions in her head, making her gut churn till she cannot breathe. No sign of the devious Ilia. Or of Valtor Loren.

Valtor Loren.

Something clenches in her chest at the mere memory of him, of the way his voice slithered into her bones. Of the way his face looked exactly like Nikolai’s.

The queen knows it is some kind of a trick, some illusion concocted to rattle her further as she sinks in and out of reveries spun from the darkest recesses of her troubled soul. Days bleed into weeks and weeks into the terrifying conviction that she will perhaps never be free. And then she thinks that maybe it is better this way. The darkness is certainly tempting enough. Until a face breaks through the haze of her misery-addled mind.

Kim Taehyung.

A twinge in her chest at the thought of the valiant prince, of the promise she has made to him.

Of the promise she has made to her kingdom. To herself.

Something begins to unravel within her, something powerful enough to remind her of what matters, of what she must fight for. Even though her prospects may seem bleak. For now. And the queen braces herself.

After all, a storm is coming.
                                ***
We're reunited with Neva, though I know not in the best way :(
What do you guys think?

Please do comment and vote!
Thank you <3