Before the events of Destiny 1

This going to tell you why Cait has a human name and how she died.

why she has a human name:

the reason Cait has a human name is because she was born during the collapse, her parents sent her to earth to live with a group of survivors called "all that remain" because her parents couldnt protect her  and the people who had cared for her had lost their baby girl in the collapse, the baby's name was Cait

The All That Remain:

This group of survivors are a small amount of people living in the cosmodrome, they are a mix of human and awoken but at the time if cait arrival they werent doing to well and had planned to get rid of her when she was ready.

how she died:

when she was 18 The "All That Remain" had enough of her and sent her to a warlords "kingdom" and she had barely survived there for 4 years until she was 22. on a cold Septembers day she had failed the warlord for the last time, The warlord had given her a choice exile or death, Cait chose exile and was sent to wander the cosmodrome. for a while she did well she had survived on dirty water puddles and already dead animals. she was later killed by a group of scavengers 3 months after her exile and was left there until the day her ghost had arrived. Cait had been dead for a long time that the last city had been built fully while she was dead.

(Warlords were various Risen who used their Traveller-gifted mastery of the Light to establish a patchwork of petty kingdoms on Earth during the Dark Age and early City Age, before the establishment of the Vanguard. The people and villages whom they protected with their powers were forced to pay tribute to them, and failing to submit resulted in harsh punishments.)

And then her story as a guardian when a ghost of the traveller had found outside the wall

Destiny 1 Commence